Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Phasing out Google: alternatives to GMail

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Phasing out Google: alternatives to GMail

There is also Yandex, a Russian web based email service.

https://mail.yandex.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try Yahoo Mail I use yahoo and gmail but prefer yahoo anyday.
    Uncle Sam
    Hope it helps you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ps I will also try gmx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In the GMX Privacy Policy:

GMX may use the personally identifiable information collected by GMX to contact customers regarding products and services offered by GMX and, to the extent the user has agreed to it, by its trusted affiliates, independent contractors and business partners.

The red section you have agreed to just signing up for GMX. "Business partners" are anyone we sell the information to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by echotech2 View Post
    In the GMX Privacy Policy:

GMX may use the personally identifiable information collected by GMX to contact customers regarding products and services offered by GMX and, to the extent the user has agreed to it, by its trusted affiliates, independent contractors and business partners.

The red section you have agreed to just signing up for GMX. "Business partners" are anyone we sell the information to.
    Unless the law in their jurisdiction prohibits it, nothing prevents anyone running a site or a server from selling user-generated data. Terms and Services statements exist to demonstrate that businesses acted to inform customers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For me it's about perception. Today I went to OfficeMax and bought packing materials, and while there I talked to my wife about our hike the day before. Those purchases, and that conversation, were "private" in that they reveal details of my personal life. But of course anyone watching and listening has those details. I think of email the same way. Most of the respondents in this thread say much the same thing.

I figure that mostly what Google will do is send me targeted ads. I don't care. Or the guvermint will figure out that I donated to GHacks and the Nature Conservancy. Again, not important. Or Microsoft will find out I don't update my Win 7 installation very often , or whatever. Most peoples' communications are mostly mundane, I think. Certainly mine are. So, like the conversation in OfficeMax, I don't worry much about being overheard.

BUT if you need to hide something -- because you are fighting tyranny in a police state, for instance -- then you might be able to do stuff with Linux Liberte or TAILS or LPS, and TOR, and using artificial identities and encrypted communication drops. Pain in the tuchis. And as everyone has mentioned, the people you're communicating with will need to play ball at that level as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just some feedback from me:

Some years ago I was on a path of war against invasions of privacy and wanted to ensure that I am not snooped and spied upon by web services providers because I cherish my privacy. It has now become apparent to me that privacy online is broken, this has to do with how the entire system is built so nothing that can be fixed quickly.

But what you can do is make it harder for data mining companies to get information about you. This is what I do, and granted it's nothing special to write home about, but it works for me:

1. I use my domain hosted email mainly.
    2. I use a gmail account for things like forum access or any low level service I think is bound to spam me.
    3. I use a hosted Linux node to manage my contacts, calendars and files (owncloud).
    4. I personally don't use social media.
    5. I do not keep any sensitive or important data/files online anywhere.
    6. I use opendns to try and limit how much data my ISP collects about me.
    7. I use a paid VPN service for obscurity and some privacy when needed.
    8. On my smartphone I use cyanogenmod with things like Privacy Guard enabled by default.

Yes, all of these can by bypassed at some point and in some way I am sure. But as a whole, this footprint is much harder to compile as a whole compared to not doing it this way.

My main aim is to make it harder for someone to compile a surfer/user/consumer profile about me. I am fully aware that in order to use the internet, I will naturally have to give up some privacy because at the moment that is how the system is built.

But I do not want to give up everything (I am careful about what I share and post online), and I do not want to make it easy for anyone to collect data about me.

Some say, why go through all the trouble, if you have nothing to hide then you should not care. Well that misses the point sorely. Rights must be defended or they are no longer respected. I have nothing to hide, but I don't leave my home door open and unlocked, I don't leave my car doors open, I don't leave my financial data and passwords lying around on the street.

Having nothing to hide and caring about ones privacy are not diametrically opposed values as some seem to think.

Because by the same token I can ask, if you have nothing to hide, why lock your doors, why lock your car, why not blurt out your pin codes and passwords in public, why enable Facebook privacy settings, why keep your passwords secret and hidden?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    It has now become apparent to me that privacy online is broken, this has to do with how the entire system is built so nothing that can be fixed quickly.
    Yor're right that the net was designed to protect privacy. It was designed as a space for public exchanges between academics and others.

Because the net is a public space, my operating metaphor for using it is that I'm on a busy downtown street posting plain text messages on a giant bulletin board, and each post has a magic number that can identify me. It's not like my house, where I have a reason to expect privcy.

I tried one of those so-called secure mail providers but cancelled when I realized that mail I send also sits on the servers of the recipients' providers. E.g., every time I send mail to someone using Gmail, my mail is on a Google server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I tried one of those so-called secure mail providers but cancelled when I realized that mail I send also sits on the servers of the recipients' providers. E.g., every time I send mail to someone using Gmail, my mail is on a Google server.
    exactly so you might as well encrypt it on your end. the trouble is that receiver needs the key to unlock it.

otherwise thunderbird addon Will do it nicely and Google itself won't get much use from those emails.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    exactly so you might as well encrypt it on your end. the trouble is that receiver needs the key to unlock it.

otherwise thunderbird addon Will do it nicely and Google itself won't get much use from those emails.
    Yeah, the people I send mail to don't have a clue about encryption and I'm not inclined to persuade them to use it. Way too much hassle.

The most revealing mail I get is probably order confirmations from Amazon. If that interests anyone, they can have it.

If I want to convey something personal/private to someone, I usually just phone them. (Of course, that's just radio...)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast