Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon X1 Wireless Internet Slow Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Re: Carbon X1 Wireless Internet Slow Ubuntu 12.10

Ya know, I thought that I had done those steps before, but looking back, I didn't set "Automatic addresses only", just the IPs. After trying that though, I couldn't ssh around (or even ping) the various servers on our network at all. And to clarify, this is a company network, so modifying router settings is not an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I did not realize you were tunneling into the computer through ssh, it probably stopped working because you changed the dns server like I asked.

Since you can not change the router settings the only other thing I can think of would be if you wanted to compile your own driver from compat, if you do you will have to recompile every time the kernel is upgraded.
    Thanks

Beans

Yeah, I figured as much (regarding the DNS). Maintaining my own driver compilations doesn't sound like too much fun, but perhaps it's worth looking into.

Would you please help me conceptually understand what it is you think it going on? I just looked up compat, and understand that it is a utility for providing functionality in newer kernels to older ones, but I don't understand what specific compatability issues you think are at play in this situation. Presumably, if compat is useful in this situation, it would seem that there is some newer kernel funcitonality which is causing the issues I'm having. But why would compat be the ideal solution here, vs just waiting for an updated kernel in the next Ubuntu release? Any details which would help me understand the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, this driver has trouble with N speed and that parameter shoud have fixed that issue.
    I rechecked the information that you posted and more then likely the issue is that you have several networks with the same name so network manager is continually jumping between them however you will stil need the parameters that you added earlier.

Compat drivers are just updated drivers, yes some are for older kernels but they have others that are for new kernel as well
    Thanks

Beans

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I saw something to that effect on the original post I reponded to, and had a feeling that might be effecting things here as well. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about that.

So from what you're telling me, it sounds like there is a newer driver in which this issue has been fixed. And either I can manually compile/install that driver with compat, and maintain that installation myself, or live with it until the newer version (presumably/eventually) finds it's way into my distro. Sound right?

Would you remind me of the linux-next backports, or should linux-stable be fine?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Compiling the driver could fix it but no guarantees, I really believe with others networks having the same name that it will not because it is most likely network manager switching from one network to another.

I will have to do some research and see how we can stop ir from switching.

As far as the fix being coming out in a new release of ubuntu that is not likely this issue has been around for quit awhile.
    I would try the stable first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12