Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Disk format and software to burn a Ubuntu disk?

Beans

What is the best Disk format and software to burn a Ubuntu disk?

I have CD-R 's that couldnt hold the os if they wanted to and DVD-R that dont seem to be detected by the burning softare suggested in the tutorial .. Im thinking my HP DVD Writer 300n 1.25 cant write to them but thought Ide ask around here before buying a new DVD Writer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is the best Disk format and software to burn a Ubuntu disk?

I say that you have a choice - DVD+RW and DVD-RW. You want Read/Write. That way you can re-use the disk. CD-R/CD+R and DVD-R/DVD+R are Read only. You cannot re-use them.

Strictly speaking, the R = Recordable, and the RW = ReWritable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable

The "plus" format uses a more reliable phase modulation technique [2] to provide 'sector' address information. Introduced after the "-" format.
    also take note of the maximum write speed as well as the size in GB or the time for Video.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 2nd, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

12.04 will fit on a CD
    12.10 requires a DVD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you have the latest firmware? I have seen a few posts by people that have problems until they update the firmware.

Unfortunately you can not do this in Ubuntu (at least I do not know a way. If there is a way I hope someone will post it).

You will have to do this on a windows machine or copy the firmware update program to some kind of DOS bootable media. Back in the day I did this with floppy disks but there is probably a way to do this with a CD or USB stick today.

You can always try to write to the CD from the command line. Do a search and you will find instructions.

ALWAYS burn a distro at the SLOWEST speed your device supports! It is much more reliable! Also, check the MD5sum.
    Last edited by d0006; April 2nd, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The CD/DVD drives I've used - a several years old Phillips IDE and Samsung USB both 'just work' with Brasero or k3b. I don't know that you could burn an Ubuntu CD/DVD from a live session though I've never tried it. Do you have an installed O.S, Ubuntu or Windows.? You can use Windows to create a live CD/USB. If you don't have burning software, Imgburn for Windows is often mentioned. Another option if your subject machine supports USB booting would be a live USB. Live USBs have some benefits over CD's, better speed and you can enable persistence on a liveUSB, no persistence with a CD/DVD. To create a bootable USB install, I use Unetbootin. Unetbootin is available for linux & Windows. There is also a utility in Ubuntu called "startup disk creator". Again, I don't know if that will work from other than an existing Ubuntu installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Like kurt18947 I just install from a USB stick or a SD card.
    Unetbootin works every time, but remember to empty the stick first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Either get an DVD+RW, or get a 8 or 16 gb usb memory stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Like kurt18947 I just install from a USB stick or a SD card.
    Unetbootin works every time, but remember to empty the stick first.
    This one is my tried and tested method.

When it comes to burning disks, any disk will do just fine as long as the ISO fits.
    But ALWAYS remember to burn using the SLOWEST speed your disk or burner support.

Beans

ok.. well I have a working XP Pro PC here and im trying to make a disk for my laptop that cannot boot from usb and is without a working OS atm hence the need for a disk and the question ..Resources I have: the downloaded ISO's for 12.10 and 12.04 , Deamon Tools Pro and a writer drive that can write toDVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW format disks..(Note: Uknown issue is preventing Demon from closing the disk when writing to CD-R)
    and CD-R disks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fosbinder View Post
    ok.. well I have a working XP Pro PC here and im trying to make a disk for my laptop that cannot boot from usb and is without a working OS atm hence the need for a disk and the question ..Resources I have: the downloaded ISO's for 12.10 and 12.04 , Deamon Tools Pro and a writer drive that can write toDVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW format disks..(Note: Uknown issue is preventing Demon from closing the disk when writing to CD-R)
    and CD-R disks
    From my experience when this type of error happens on a CD-R, you can no longer use it again, ever. So try using DVD+RW or CD+RW and try other programs other than Daemon Tools. There are a lot of great free apps that can burn ISO to disk like this one http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast