Thread: Decryption using openssl - If not decrypted, I will lose this pics forever

Beans

Angry Decryption using openssl - If not decrypted, I will lose this pics forever

So I'm using a Mac, unix based machine. I know this OS works the same way as Ubuntu, so I asked here anyways.

So I tried password protecting this tar.gz file. However, I can't decrypt it when I tried to. The file inside it that I compressed and archived was a .zip file.

This is the command that I typed...
    Code:
    $ openssl enc -in file.tar.gz -aes-256-cbc -e > file.tar.gz // I tried to encrypt the file this way... and I was asked to set a password of course
    then I tried decrypting it using this command...
    Code:
    $ openssl enc -in file.tar.gz -aes-256-cbc -d > file.tar.gz
    error reading input file // error had appeared.
    any idea???
    worst case scenario: I'd ask someone to decrypt this confidential pics...which I wish I don't have to...
    Last edited by iErika; April 2nd, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Decryption using openssl - If not decrypted, I will lose this pics forever

I think you're out of luck.

By piping the output of the encode command into the same input file that it's processing you've most likely corrupted the original file beyond any hope of recovery.
    You should always redirect the output of such commands to a different file than the file being processed, for example...
    Code:
     openssl enc -in file.tar.gz -aes-256-cbc > file.tar.gz.encrypted
    or
    Code:
     openssl enc -in file.tar.gz -aes-256-cbc -out file.tar.gz.encrypted
    I think your only hope now is to restore the files from your most recent backup before you messed up.
    Cheesemill

Beans

omg!!! I can't believe this. Those were my only copies! Unfortunately. I have no backups.

anyways, I understand it now, thank you.

Beans

how can I mark this post as solved?