Thread: Kernel Updates

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel Updates

****I assume this rather serious bug has been reported? ******

better to report & let Apport doing its job; if its a dupe, then it will be marked.

**** if a bug is not reported, then its not a bug, as no one knows about it. ******

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

+1, updating from the terminal and it just hangs there. Several tries, always the same result.

Also, tried once through update manager and after a while it just crashed. Ended up filing a bug at Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1163245

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

thanks for reporting it...i find you can easily fix it in the package manager...just type linux-kernel and locate the old and new kernels (it's already been downloaded by software updater) you should see a
    ! mark next to the current kernel, click on to that and select "upgrade" and package manager will install the new kernel for you and after that, software updater works normal again (at least until the next kernel update...lol)...

i did follow the crash report over to launchpad and report it in that manner too...everyone should do that....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    thanks for reporting it...i find you can easily fix it in the package manager...just type linux-kernel and locate the old and new kernels (it's already been downloaded by software updater) you should see a
    ! mark next to the current kernel, click on to that and select "upgrade" and package manager will install the new kernel for you and after that, software updater works normal again (at least until the next kernel update...lol)...

i did follow the crash report over to launchpad and report it in that manner too...everyone should do that....
    Yeah. That's what I finally ended up doing this morning, after filling the bug. In any case thanks anyway for the pointer.

Beans
    Distro

apport says the bug is no. 1026149 but goes to a lost something launchpad page. No sign of that bug. Odd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    apport says the bug is no. 1026149 but goes to a lost something launchpad page. No sign of that bug. Odd.
    You are referring to Bug #1163245, right?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    You are referring to Bug #1163245, right?
    No. The bug I'm referring to is the one that apport crash detection says is linked to software updater crashing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No. The bug I'm referring to is the one that apport crash detection says is linked to software updater crashing.
    Yes, you're right.

I tried to look it myself but strangely there is no bug #1026149 in update-manager. Sorting by bug number, you go from #1026060 to #1026257. It's odd indeed.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

might be set as "private"

Beans

I had problem upgrading today to kernel 3.8.0-16 as the software update got stuck and i had to finish and remove the lock. I solve the problem by running sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.0-16-generic on the terminal. And then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Noting that after i got the error on software updater i went to terminal, ran sudo dpkg --configure -a and saw a error about linux-image-generic being dependent on linux-image-3.8.0-16-generic but that wasn't being to be installed. So i installed it and solve the problem. Seems like a error on the script of software updater or on it's dependencies cache or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast