Thread: Beginner needs a teacher

Beans

Question Beginner needs a teacher

Hello, my name is Sergio and I am a beginner with ubuntu or any linux distros. I have search the web and watch various videos on how to do different things on ubuntu linux.
    I have yet to find a good tutorial or someone who can teach me not only how to use the OS but also how to achieve the different things I want to achieve on ubuntu.
    What I want is to be able to have a computer that looks they way I want and gives me the versatility to do or find a way to do whatever I want with it. I know its a lot to take but the main thing i need right now is to learn the OS and to learn how to customize it.
    So If anyone can help me by giving me a link to a teacher or tutorial or if someone can actually be the one to teach me this stuff please help me out.

Thanks to you all.

Beans

Re: Beginner needs a teacher

Originally Posted by SergioMax -- I have yet to find a good tutorial or someone who can teach me not only how to use the OS but also how to achieve the different things I want to achieve on ubuntu.
    What I want is to be able to have a computer that looks they way I want and gives me the versatility to do or find a way to do whatever I want with it.

There are many ways that you can customize Ubuntu to your liking. You can change the desktop background by right clicking and select change desktop background. If you like to work in the termminal and you dont like the standard purple you can change the layout by right clicking click edit profiles go to colors and there should be an option that's checked by default it says something along the lines of use standard colors or something like that uncheck that and then select your txt color and background color. Also if you find that you dont like Unity there are older version of Ubuntu that you can install that have Gnome insted also there are spinoff distros such as Kubuntu which features KDE instead of unity. Just as some general advice if you want to play movies in Ubuntu you have to install the decryption package open the terminal and type sudo apt-get install libdvdread 4 then once thats finished type sudo/usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh also to get important updates in ubuntu open the terminal and type sudo apt-get update, you can also do sudo apt-get upgrade. In order to watch youtube on ubuntu you need flash. To do this open up the software center and type in flash plugin and then download the flash plugin. There are many many more things that you can do in linux and there are many ways to customize it and make it your own i hope i've been helpful.
    Last edited by wiired24; April 2nd, 2013 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by SergioMax View Post
    Hello, my name is Sergio and I am a beginner with ubuntu or any linux distros. I have search the web and watch various videos on how to do different things on ubuntu linux.
    I have yet to find a good tutorial or someone who can teach me not only how to use the OS but also how to achieve the different things I want to achieve on ubuntu.
    What I want is to be able to have a computer that looks they way I want and gives me the versatility to do or find a way to do whatever I want with it. I know its a lot to take but the main thing i need right now is to learn the OS and to learn how to customize it.
    So If anyone can help me by giving me a link to a teacher or tutorial or if someone can actually be the one to teach me this stuff please help me out.

Thanks to you all.
    Welcome to the Linux world!
    You can start here http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ to familiarize yourself with Ubuntu Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

moved to abt
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Welcome to Linux & the Ubuntu fora.
    Pick your favorite desktop environment and choose your favorite theme. You can also download extra themes and even design your own. This way you can give your box the look you like. For installing software it's best to stick to the official ubuntu repositories until you get more familiar with linux. This is the easy way of installing software and will prevent you from breaking your system. The windows way of installing software is less save. Most software designed for windows doesn't run on ubuntu – but plenty of alternatives available: http://www.linuxalt.com. You may want to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. It contains a collection of popular software (flash player, dvd codecs, microsoft fonts) that cannot be distributed on the installation disk for legal reasons. You can also install separate parts of it individually.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thanks to you all.
    Here, here and here are good places for it.

Some other places I think you should take a look at:
    Command Line Learning Resources
    Using The Terminal
    New Docs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Linux is mostly "Do it yourself". The best distros out there don't spoil you, IMO. However this is not an option for newbs. So we have distros that are considered more 'user friendly' for people trying to make a move away from the popular Proprietary OS.

There is no dearth of information on the 'world wide web'. All you have to do is search and find what you are looking for. If you still have doubts or queries then you have the forums to help you out. But remember the effort is all yours.

If you want to learn about Ubuntu then START with the Manual.

Good Luck.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."