Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could i run Ubuntu on this?

Beans

Re: Could i run Ubuntu on this?

Yeah i have Chrubuntu on my cr 48, i want to put something else on it, maybe something really light, because Chrubuntu has all sorts of issue. I'm thinking bodhi, Leenux or easypeasy. I wouldn't know how to go about installing them though. Any thoughts on what os i should change to on my CR-48 or if i should switch at all?

thanks,
    tahdas

Beans

Hey! Try Puppy Linux! It's small, lightweight, and runs on just about anything!

Beans

From what I've read the Pentium CPU is more powerfull than the Atom CPU in the cr48.
    I don't think Unity will work well on that laptop. XFCE & lower will run fine though. I have crunchbang on my Celeron M and I tested XFCE on it and it's fine.
    The Dothan based Pentium M's don't support PAE, the later revised versions (in Sonoma) do support PAE. Think the Dothans are all 400MHz FSB while the revised ones are 533MHz. The Dothans are very easy to overclock, requires removal of CPU and a small jumper wire inserted.
    Laptop has Intel GMA 915 integrated gfx and I don't think it will run TF2 well. Source engine is not heavy on requirements but I still think TF2 will struggle. You can google "TF2 on GMA915" as some people seem to be running it but it will probably look like crap with low FPS.
    Based on the age of that laptop the battery is probably shot unless replaced recently.

Give crunchbang 11 (Waldorf) a go on that cr48, should be fine and it's a really cool distro. The 32 or 64 bit versions will work but the 64bit version will use a bit more RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, the T43 will run X/Lubuntu fine but not fast enough for gaming.

If you want gaming for $50 you should go for a desktop.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a this laptop and im wondering if i could run Ubuntu on it.
    Heres the details:

Item number 330898197976
    Product Line ThinkPad
    Graphics Processing Type Integrated/On-Board Graphics
    Operating System Windows 7 (It says seven but in the picture it has XP)
    Memory 2 GB
    Screen Size 14.1"
    Hard Drive Capacity 150 GB
    Processor Type Intel Pentium (R) M
    Operating System Edition Ultimate
    Processor Speed 2.00 GHz

Also does anyone own this laptop? Whats the thing at the back in the pic? Will this thing run games?

Thanks!
    Dude! It looks like my T42 I have been running Windows 7, openSUSE KDE, Fedora, Ubuntu 12.04 and currently Xubuntu 12.04!

So yeah, it will run Ubuntu but there are a few caveats:
    1. My T42's chip is not able to handle the PAE kernels. This meant I had to install an alternate kernel in order to get Ubuntu 12.04 installed. Xubuntu 12.04 came with the alternate kernel, but are not afterwards. Since Ubuntu is not offering the non-PAE kernel after 12.04 then any of the Ubuntu's after 12.04 will not work on my machine and thus I will be forced to migrate to Fedora or openSUSE until they too no longer support non-PAE kernels.
    2. My 14" screen can handle only up to 1024x768. While it may sound like this is "adequate" for some people I am finding it feeling smaller and smaller as the icons and such in Unity can only go so small. I have been enjoying Xubuntu in part because of the better space management. In Unity, the dock takes up so much room I almost HAVE to make it hide.
    3. I also have been preferring Xubuntu because it is lighter. For most things the old specs on the system are adequate for everyday use but Unity and KDE make the system feel a little bit slower than it does on a more up-to-date system. Even Windows 7, while adequate, can get unresponsive if there are too many things going on at once. So I guess what I am saying is that the lower specs will rear its ugly head when you have multiple things going on at once, or doing anything CPU - intensive like when I was rendering a picture slideshow into a video format... ugh...
    4. Mine didn't come with a Super key (Windows key) which makes the ease of pulling up the Dash (or whatever it is called when using Gnome-shell too) annoying. Seriously, I would probably find Gnome-shell more enjoyable if I had the option to hit the key and open that thingy. Unity the same.

That thing on the back looks like the computer is sitting on a docking station. Docking stations are handy for putting the keyboard, mouse, NIC, larger screen, etc. on the system and want to, with the touch of a button, release the laptop and go portable. I'm still kicking myself I got rid of my docking station before I got this laptop. Now I could use it but docking stations are individually system orientated meaning my T60 docking station doesn't work with my T42.

Oh, and the docking station is a good thing because my device itself only had 2xUSB connectors. So if I want to add anything other than my mouse and keyboard I have to take one out to make space. Kinda a pain, and a docking station would make it so much easier.

Games depends on what kind of games you are looking for. I play FreeCiv in Linux and in Windows and the most intensive game I run on it is X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter in Windows. To give you an idea of the age, its system requirements stop at Windows 98!

I've used it for a while and the portability aspect (plus with the extended battery getting 5+ hours of use) but not for anything intense. I use it for doing presentations and using Office and some PHP programming (using Xampp) and even use Visual Studio in Windows 7 (it just takes a little while for it to load... like long enough to brew a full pot of coffee and pour the first cup!)

Ultimately, it is your choice and I don't know what your budget or expectations are. I wanted to pass along my findings with my personal laptop which is a similar model (though I have 1.8GHz Pentium (M), not 2.0 but I do have the (max of) 2GB of RAM). For me, personally, I am in the process of looking to replace this laptop with something more modern and more powerful and can follow future updates.

Hope this helps.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please don't bring the PAE problems associated with T42 into the debate. It only scares people.

As can be seen here the T42 is using the 400 MHz front side bus, which indicates lack of PAE support, but the T43 uses 533.
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_M_(Dothan)
    Last edited by mörgæs; April 2nd, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Please don't bring the PAE problems associated with T42 into the debate. It only scares people.

As can be seen here the T42 is using the 400 MHz front side bus, which indicates lack of PAE support, but the T43 uses 533.
    Apologies; the OP hadn't yet identified the model number as T43 when I made my PAE comment. Didn't mean to scare anyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No problem! I was thinking of post #15.

The forum is haunted by a PAE ghost which pops his head up here, there and everywhere. Let's all try to put it to rest.

Beans

So I should install crunch bang or archbang? How would I go about doing that?
    Has anyone heard of people hackintoshing the cr-48? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...nventec-cr-48/
    how hard would that be to do? Because I like the Mac touchpad short cuts, and Netflix works on Mac, it wouldn't on ChrUbuntu even with the app.

I really don't like the way the bangs look, but I guess ill should sacrifice looks for quality.

Thank,
    tahdas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post

My apologies, I was relaying my experiences and this issue and my (somewhat) similar system. I thought it would be a point of consideration as nobody wants to buy a system and have the latest Ubuntu not work.

Your information helps clarify the situation and for that I thank you.

Now the OP knows that this is not a factor in this particular computer's case and I have a link and information on the situation.

As for putting this "ghost" to rest, is there any Ubuntu articles, wiki or statements that spells it out the situation and solution for which everybody who brings it up can be pointed to?
    Last edited by Dragonbite; April 2nd, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast