Thread: Problems with Edubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu

Problems with Edubuntu 11.04

I posted earlier this morning the following message and please accept my apologies for sending it again, because I am getting desperate and I need some help reasonably soon, because I am getting dizzy. The message was:

Yesterday I installed Edubuntu 11.04 in one of my computers and all went very smoothly. But I do have a few problems:

1. I could not access any panels (top, bottom or sides. And off course I could not add any applets in the non existing panels.
    2. I do have unity now and some how I begin to like it, but no panels and no applets.
    3. There is no menu visible.
    4. I installed Greek as a second language, but I am unable to find out, the “keyboard indicator complete”, which by the way cannot be installed from the “Ubuntu Software center” . I installed it in another computer from Synaptic, but in this installation unfortunately Synaptic cannot be found.
    5. The most important thing missing, are the panels and the applets to be attached in panels.
    6. Found Synaptic in this new installation and installed the “indicator-applet-complete” but does not seam to help at all. No active panels.
    7. One other problem appeared: When I open any software, in my monitor I can see only the most recent software I opened and every thing else is hiding behind. I get by using the Alt+tab keys, but unfortunately it does not work always. Very tiring to follow what you are doing.
    8. It also appears that only one and the most two separate software can be viewed on the monitor. In previous versions, by combing the extra desktops I could have as many as 5 or more different, software working in parallel from different desktops.
    9. There is also a side problem: If I insert a USB stick with some info, it gets lost and I cannot read any INFO even using the Alt +Tab keys and in addition the Unity icons on the left bar disappear and cannot be used for any possible help.

As you can see, I am getting desperate and many thoughts cross my mind:

1. Abandon all attempts to install more operating systems in my 3 computers, either Ubuntu, or derivatives, Mint. Maybe something like Puppy will be suitable for me unless someone has a suggestion of another available, Linux live CD, that will be more friendly, especially for a person like me at the age of 75 and going up.
    2. Go back to Windows, I hate even the thought
    3. Organize my garden and forget about computers, operating systems and the like.

http://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.ph...stthread&f=331

Some additional varieties of my problems are listed below:

1. I am now live from edubuntu 10.04, unity, but I am going crazy when I open more than two separate software and now I am having hard time to find the one or the other, even after I use the Alt + tab keys, several times. Basically I cannot communicate with no one, including the Ubuntu Forum.
    2. Each Page I open has no maximize or minimize icons and it is very easy to mix previously opened pages and being lost for a long time, between open pages from various software. Even these Ubuntu Forum pages, have no maximize or minimize icons. Here and there I can locate the close icon a black x inside a red circle.
    3. I need a new and reliable software, with Panels Applets, maximize and minimize icons. Since I have been using Ubuntu for many many years now, I wish to stay with it, but it is getting more difficult to keep my sanity.
    4. Please send me a recommendation, which Ubuntu version to try next. I even tried a couple of Mints, but my luck was not any better. I would prefer to stay with Ubuntu, since it must be more that 10 years (maybe 15 years) that I started with Ubuntu and had no serious problems. I am not sure what is the reason for the accumulation of problems now.
    5. I had a problem finding the screen saver also, which I discovered accidentally in one of the lower rows of the Applications launcher and managed to add all my pictures in the picture folder and activate the folder for screen savers
    6. One basic question is if I abandon the Unity version, if things will improve, and if you think they will, please refresh my memory, how to do this. I have switched from Unity to Classic, before. I am not sure if for some reason it is too late and any suggestions that may be a better alternative.

Thank you very much and my sincere apologies, if you think I am becoming a pest

Costas Lazarou from Toronto Canada and Ubuntu fanatic !!!

Beans

Re: Sorry to bother you again, but I have some serious problems

11.04 is "end of life" and completely unsupported. Support for 10.04 desktop is ending in a few weeks. I recommend you give the current 12.10 or long term support 12.04 a try. 13.04 is coming out soon. I am not promising that a newer version will magically solve all of your problems but at least you will be dealing with a supported release.

If you have older hardware (what are you system specs?) then you might have better luck with xubuntu or lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu

Re: Problems with Edubuntu 11.04

I keep discovering a variety of things, some appear useless and some are useful. For example:

1. The Dash, I presume it opens when you click on the upper extreme left corner over the white small circle, with a tiny gear inside it. Inside there are some interesting stuff. I also presume that the search bar is the long upper bar where you can type what you are looking.
    2. I typed “keyboard Language applet” but nothing came up not even something remotely related. Then I typed, “second language” and again nothing came up even remotely related.
    3. Then I realized that about an hour earlier I was working on a spreadsheet, that now has disappeared from my sight. I typed in the Dash: “Spreadsheet, earlier today plus sites (it was related to links of my sites” Again nothing came up, not even a newly opened spreadsheet. So all in all the Dash for me did not provide any help, if anything I had to spent some time trying to figure the dash, for what was for me “NOTHING”
    4. Then I looked under the “All applications” by the upper right hand corner and clicked the down pointing arrow and selected Accessories, nothing interesting, not even the Terminal that I was looking for it before. I think I will type Terminal in the Dash this time. This time big success, a full terminal opened in front of me. I also discovered a Terminal as one of the icons in the launchers (left bar).
    5. I tried one more time “Keyboard Indicators” and nothing came up. Sorry my Friends, this Dash has a few interesting things, but the majority are useless (at least without an extensive manual). I hope someone can make good use to some of the above.

Costas
    April 2, 2013, 10:10 AM

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu

Re: Sorry to bother you again, but I have some serious problems

6. I tried one more time “Keyboard Indicators” and nothing came up. Sorry my Friends, this Dash has a few interesting things, but the majority are useless (at least without an extensive manual).
    7. One more issue popped up related to the installed software. I tried to make sure which Ubuntu installation I had in order to plan any possible changes. In the normal Ubuntu's the version is shown under, system and “about ubuntu” and or “about Gnome”. Under Unity you must be lucky to find the terminal and then enter, either cat / etc/ issue or lsb_release -a. The two sections: Preferences and System are kind of abandoned in the Unity

Beans

Re: Problems with Edubuntu 11.04

These bugs will never be fixed, as 11.04 is no longer supported or maintained in any way. There have been many improvements to Unity over the past 2 years, so I encourage you to give the current release a try (and/or choose a different desktop environment that meets your needs, such as: Gnome/KDE/Xfce/LXDE/etc.).

Here is some information how to change keyboard language in Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/68127...rd-combination

Here are some frequently asked questions about how to use Unity: http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/unity?sort=faq