Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus in 13.04

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nautilus in 13.04

It's been a few weeks I'm using the 13.04 beta-1 and I've noticed Nautilus has changed a bit. There are two things that concerns me and that I wanted to share and hear other voices:

1. No more "compact list" view (Crtl + 3).
    Now only the "icon" and the "details list" view are available.
    I really enjoyed the "compact list" and hope it will come back eventually.
    Any thoughts on that?

2. No mass-renamer available.
    I used to batch rename my files with nautilus-renamer. But since the upgrade to 13.04 it's no longer working on nautilus. Is it just me?
    Does anyone have a GUI solution for that?

Cheers!

PS: currently using the up-to-date nautilus version: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu13
    Ubuntu user 27.973 : Linux user 492.713 : Free as in GNU/Linux

Beans

Re: Nautilus in 13.04

Yeah, Canonical wasn't able to come up with a new file browser in time so at the moment we are stuck with featureless Nautilus 3.6. Canonical has in fact added search back to Nautilus 3.6 in Ubuntu 13.04, but thats all they were able to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Nautilus at its best has been light weight. I use it for normal tasks, but have Krusader for the heavy lifting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for your info and suggestions.

I avoid installing KDE apps [for they bring more than 60Mb of dependencies with it] into gnome as a way to try keep my good-n-old T60 in shape as much as possible...

And, of course, the one app per task philosophy also captivates my attention.

But for now my solution was to install Thunar to get the job done!
    It feels very responsive and have a quite simple (yet powerful) batch-renamer integrated.

I suppose it's not trivial to completely replace nautilus by thunar and keep all the good desktop integration achieved so far. But I might be wrong - hopefully!

Cheers

Beans

I just installed 13.04 beta. Went directly to Nautilus to see if the bad had really happened. Yes, no compact view. Erased. Switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon. Nemo = Compact view. I know this isn't Canonical's fault directly but I won't live without compact list. I deal with too many files for that. I'm convinced that Gnome devs are trying to be the first community project to have only their own devs to use their project. It's projects like this that keep Linux obscure. I like the Gnome 4 spoof of the completely clean desktop. Only a flashing cursor. LOL. Death to Gnome. Long live Cinnamon. Unfortunately. But that's just my opinion. What's more ironic is I waited over 10 years for compact mode before even installing Gnome from KDE. It only lasted for about 7 or 8 years and then they remove it. Amazing. Gnome has always been stable for me but so was CPM. There is more to life then stability. FWIW

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nospam2k View Post
    I just installed 13.04 beta. Went directly to Nautilus to see if the bad had really happened. Yes, no compact view. Erased. Switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon. Nemo = Compact view. I know this isn't Canonical's fault directly but I won't live without compact list.[...]
    "Zoom Out" does the same thing. Also, "Default Zoom Level". Works on text and/or icons.

You can make the 'view' so 'compact' that you can't read the file names...
    Last edited by VinDSL; April 14th, 2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nospam2k View Post
    I just installed 13.04 beta. Went directly to Nautilus to see if the bad had really happened. Yes, no compact view. Erased. Switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon.
    You know what I did? I installed 'Nemo' in 13.04.

@IanW: The odd numbers in the nautilus/gnome version numbers represent test versions for instance, 3.5, 3.7 are test versions. The even numbers are stable like 3.4 and 3.6. So yes the 3.8 version will get back most of the 'missing' features.
    Last edited by fantab; April 16th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    [...] @IanW: The odd numbers in the nautilus/gnome version numbers represent test versions for instance, 3.5, 3.7 are test versions. The even numbers are stable like 3.4 and 3.6. So yes the 3.8 version will get back most of the 'missing' features.
    @fantab: I do hope you're right and that 3.8 will give us the missing features back. But what I find strange is that I'm already using an even version (Version: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16) but, nonetheless, many features are gone (?).

I'm attaching two screenshots comparing Nautilus icon view and Thunar compact list view to show how they differ from each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, that's what I learned, can't remember where though. However, gnome will not bring back those lost features which are not "touch" friendly, for instance 'tree view'. Like we know, Gnome is being re-designed for 'touch-screens'. That is where they think the future is.

What I miss most in Nautilus is the 'recursive search' feature. And it is supposedly back in test versions. Though I haven't tried the 'test version', first hand. If gnome devs feel that compact view is not good for 'touch' then its not comming back.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    What I miss most in Nautilus is the 'recursive search' feature. And it is supposedly back in test versions..
    It was added back to 13.04's nautilus some time ago -

nautilus (1:3.6.3-0ubuntu12) raring; urgency=low

* debian/patches/git_enable_simple_search_engine.patch,
    debian/patches/git_search_dir_incremental_load.patch,
    debian/patches/git_search_recursive_dir.patch:
    - backport some patches to fix recursive directory search (lp: #1077415)

-- Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> Fri, 22 Mar 2013
    tree in list view will only be avail. in 3.8 though it can be patched into 3.6, I do so here
    (decided to use 3.6 in 13.04 as 3.8 has this new DnD hover 'feature' that I've come to hate & haven't yet explored either fixing or removing in 3.8

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast