Thread: Just installed 13.04 on my old netbook.

Beans

Thumbs up Just installed 13.04 on my old netbook.

My netbook is a Acer Aspire One from 2008 with pretty mediocre spec (Atom 1.60ghz, 1 gb ram). It was painfully slow with Windows 7 so I decided to replace it with the latest Ubuntu 13.04 daily build. And wow, call me impressed! It's like 12.10 on steroids. Unity has matured into a very snappy and effecient experience. I was primarily a Xubuntu/Kubuntu user but this experience has won me over.

Major props to the developers! I'm looking forward to the final 13.04 release and beyond, it will be awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Just installed 13.04 on my old netbook.

Have you checked out memory usage with System Monitor. You might notice a drop of 10% - 20% compared with 12.04 or 12.10. My system shows memory usage of 40% with nothing running except System Monitor and going up to 55% with Chromium running. In the past 70% was the more usual figure. We rae seeing benefits of the developmental work on Ubuntu phone/tablet.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Just installed 13.04 on my old netbook.

Quote Originally Posted by addegsson View Post
    It's like 12.10 on steroids. Unity has matured into a very snappy and effecient experience.
    Funny coincidence, I just did the same with an SDHC card on my ASUS900, which was bumped up to 2GB back when I bought it. Since I'm one of the people who regards Unity as improved from unusable to merely annoying, I decided to add on the new Mate1.6 desktop from http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download.

That extra zip you saw isn't from Unity. This config runs rings around my Mint Maya with Mate1.? on the same machine. Bodes well for performance on the Celeron tablets.

/Guy