Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be reported"

Beans

Lightbulb when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be reported"

Hi all,

I am very new to the Ubuntu 12.10, I am facing a 2 basic problems,

1.when i type 'sudo su' in the command prompt, i am getting a Error Message as "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be reported"
    2. when i type 'visudo' i am getting "visudo: etc/sududoersermission Denied"

I tried lot of things to solve this issue but not succesfull

Could you anyone please help me out in this issue?

Regards,
    Vishwa

Beans

Re: when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be repor

Understanding that you are new to Ubuntu, what makes you think you need to do either one of those things? Those commands would not normally be used on a Ubuntu system, even by experienced users. With "sudo" you have the needed root privilege to do any operation on the system.

The errors are both attributable to a mis-match between the user name and the given password. When Ubuntu, was installed, the installing user gave a password -- that is the only password on the system that will alow a "sudo" operation, including opening visudo to change passwords. If you don't know the original password given during installation, then you will not be able to execute any "sudo" privileged command.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be repor

Hi

You should be able to fix this from a LiveCD.USB or from a root console after remounting it read/write.

But in the first instance, can you open a terminal and post the output of

Code:
    groups
    EDIT:

Have a good read of dabl's post first just to make sure you understand the basics - i see you are very new to Linux and Ubuntu - as i have assumed you have a problem and that may not necessarily be so.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 30th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

By default on Ubuntu, Root "su" is disabled. All you really need is sudo as here is no need to run as root.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    By default on Ubuntu, Root "su" is disabled. All you really need is sudo as here is no need to run as root.
    I think the OP should be able to run sudo su though

Code:
    matthew-S206:/usr/share/polkit-1/actions % sudo su 
    [sudo] password for matthew: 
    root@matthew-S206:/usr/share/polkit-1/actions#
    This will get you to a root shell along with
    Code:
    matthew-S206:/usr/share/polkit-1/actions % sudo -i
    root@matthew-S206:~# exit
    logout
    matthew-S206:/usr/share/polkit-1/actions %
    ...and some other variants.

But i do agree with you.

Code:
    sudo <command>
    is the preferred way to do it in Ubuntu.

For the OP:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

EDIT:

Actually, I use "sudo su" or "sudo -i" very frequently
    If i have a large number of root commands that i need to type, i will also enter a root shell.

As long as you are careful then there should be no problem.

BTW: i colour my root shells as red and user shell as green so i know instantly in which shell i am in.

Less typing, so i agree with TheCog here.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 30th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Actually, I use "sudo su" or "sudo -i" very frequently. And if you can't use those commands then there is something wrong with the system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is forum policy regarding this issue

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716201

Note, that
    Code:
    visudo
    may not be working because it should be

Code:
    sudo visudo
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Here is forum policy regarding this issue
    Just to be 100% clear for the OP, these guidelines are for logging into the root GUI and not entering a root shell.

Kind regards

Beans

Both sudo and su are insecure. I usually set root to only be accessible from direct login from a physical terminal and not have any users on the system that can su or sudo. And eliminate setuid permissions.
    Last edited by mharv; March 30th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    so as to not confuse the OP, "su" and root are not the same thing. Which is how i read your statement.

if you do not specify a username with "su" then it defaults to the root account, however it means "substitute user" and can and is used to switch user account privelege whether root or not.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast