Thread: system hangs randomly

Beans

Unhappy system hangs randomly

Hello, I have a toshiba l755-s5244 laptop and installed the latest Ubuntu. Everything is working fine except I kept getting reports fro apport saying it's detected a problem. I naturally googled this when it asked if I had to reboot and disabled apport because it was just endless. My laptop would seem to get hot (the fan kicks on and runs full blast) until I finally kill apport which I noticed was running up 99% cpu when I looked in top to see what program might be going wild. So, I disabled Apport and I'm still noticing these random freezes where my mouse moves but nothing responds at all. Sometimes it's brief and lasts maybe 10 seconds and sometimes it just indefinitely locks up. I couldn't switch to a terminal or anything. I've done some googling and I've seen posts on forums about others experiencing this but, they seemed to lead me nowhere, the ones that seemed promising were dead threads with no solution. I've considered my graphics might be an issue, I lookd in system setting>system details and found my graphics comes back driver unknown. Any ideas to help fix this would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, in advance.

Beans

Re: system hangs randomly

additional notes: I did some more googling and found that this laptop is apparently 64bit as it comes installed with win7 64bit installed on it. I checked it with the command listed on the ubuntu site and it came back 64bit. So, I'll try switching out to the 64bit version in hopes it corrects something whether it's a goofed install or, some incompatibility with the 32bit and my system. I doubt that's it but, why not take full advantage of my system. I hate doing reinstalls but, it's no good to me when it freezes completely frequently.
    Last edited by Slixt; March 31st, 2013 at 11:16 PM.

Beans

[SOLVED]Re: system hangs randomly

Nevermind, when installing the 64bit version I opted for 12.04 lts, and haven't noticed any of this as of yet. I believe it's resolved and found another post already discussing my issues I was having.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: [SOLVED]Re: system hangs randomly

I'm glad you were able to get this solved on your own. Just know in the future anything that we can do for you....you have a ton of support in the forums.