Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04/ Windows 7 dual boot Grub2 Boot Repair Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 12.04/ Windows 7 dual boot Grub2 Boot Repair Issue

This is a brand new system so, no, I have no issue with reformat, reinstall.

I had already though about going back to "legacy" mode, but I'd like to understand why UEFI worked on this system once and won't now.

My other option is just to skip Windows and run Ubuntu only. The few things I might use Windows for I can do with a Windows Virtual Machine.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, and it may well be what I wind up doing, but I want to explore the UEFI thing a bit more. It appears to be the way things are going and I'd like to get a better understanding of the potential problems and solutions. I agree, though, that it does seem to cause a lot of problems for a lot of people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No problem, you have a valid point. It might be only me, but i still look at UEFI as a way for Microsoft to stop easy dual booting, and that most manufacturers are Microsoft oriented only. oldfred explained it very good in one post: It will take time until linux developers do reverse engineering to make uefi easier. Nobody is working with them in advance so they have to do it reverse.

In your case, you want to learn, which is great, but imagine how many people already blamed Ubuntu for "simply not working and installing as it should", when the real reason lies more in uefi than in ubuntu.

For uefi, I would say double check the EFI system partition is still there and working, and it's also important to make sure to boot the ubuntu cd in uefi mode when installing. In general, that should be enough, but in reality at this moment the dark forces start working...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro

I think the issue is actually with the Bios. I've done some looking and found many complaints that Gigabyte's UEFI implementation is questionable.
    I have no option in bios to select anything other than "Hard Drive". Once I figure out that people referring to "UEFI Boot menu" were referring to the boot menu that I can get to by pressing F12 at startup, I realized that I have no additional options there, either.
    That all led me down the path of a bios shortcoming, so I started looking there and found the Gigabyte complaints. So far, I haven't found anyone with a good solution, though I still don't understand why it worked once, but won't now.
    I intend to keep looking and listening for a bit but, ultimately, will probably wind up redoing the system. I'll probably give it another UEFI shot then, if that doesn't work, I'll turn off UEFI and go to "legacy" mode.
    You can probably tell that this is my first go at UEFI installation. Even as little as I know about it, I am in agreement that UEFI is a Microsoft "no dual boot" technique, but I'm certain the Linux community will overcome. I've been with Linux long enough to know that most manufacturer's have done the same thing in the past, and many still do. Though Linux is gaining greater acceptance by manufacturer's, there is still an unfortunate amount of reverse engineering that has to be done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Gigabytes P67 & H67 hybrid efi -Hybrid EFI is a UEFI based on the open source TianoCore
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gb-hybrid-efi/
    http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/20...echnology.html

I did once find a Gigabyte upgrade to its UEFI for certain motherboards from a hybrid or partial to a full UEFI. But lost the link, since it did not apply to my old system.

Video
    Upgrade Gigabyte to UEFI (Windows)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-FcRUp2A-E
    Last edited by oldfred; April 2nd, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Gigabyte F2A85X-D3H board (AMD) but the first thing I did after installing it and powering on the computer was to select Legacy Only for the boot option. So, I can't help much with the uefi implementation.

Although, I moved the SSD with existing legacy dual boot and only upgraded board/cpu/memory so using it in legacy boot was not really a difficult choice. I had no intention reinstalling everything just to give uefi a go. In general as a manufacturer I have great confidence in Gigabyte, but can't really comment on uefi implementations.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, all, for the help and suggestions.
    I wound up reverting to "legacy" bios mode and reinstalling.
    As you may have guessed, everything went smoothly and I now have a functional system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12