Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice apps duplicating icons in the Unity launcher

Beans

LibreOffice apps duplicating icons in the Unity launcher

This is a relatively new problem. When clicking on any LibreOffice icons in the Unity launcher 3 times in a session, it will open a second icon in the launcher. Then, the initial icon will be impossible to remove (after second click) until a next reboot. When rebooted, all LibreOffice icons are gone, until I drag another one in there. Again, after clicking 3 times, it starts all over again, until reboot.

Any way to fix that?

Thank you
    Last edited by Phantom010; April 3rd, 2013 at 04:55 AM.

Beans

Re: LibreOffice apps duplicating icons in the Unity launcher

Forgot to mention. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, recently installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is not a new problem: Libreoffice and the Unity taskbar have never been flawless, although the current issues are not anymore the nightmare it once was. My current workaround is not to pin any Libreoffice icons. I find it easy enough to summon Libreoffice using the dash, and in 80% of the cases, I start LO by launching documents from the file manager anyway. One day, LO and Unity laucher will work properly together as designed.

The lack of hotkeys in the LO global menus is another issue: there, my workaround is (to my regret) to remove the global menu.

Beans

Well, it may not be a new problem, but it seems to be for me and it's very disappointing. Such an obvious bug should have been dealt with a long time ago. Now I understand why people hate Unity so much. Will probably go with Mint with MATE desktop. Eye candy is always too unstable.
    Last edited by Phantom010; March 31st, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

I've also found that LibreOffice is not the only application doing this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although I don't believe it, i am currently testing this: https://sites.google.com/site/lightr...eunitylauncher. According to that blog, there is a "wrong way" and a "right way" fixing icons to the laucher. I now added the LO icons the "right" way, i.e. by dragging them from the dash to the launcher, and opening and closing LO documents randomly to see whether and when the duplicate icon will appear. I must mention, though, that I am using 12.10.

Beans

I believe the article is full of it. Both methods amount to the exact same result, which is nothing good. But thanks for the thought.

As soon as I've repartitioned my Windows XP (with software), I'm installing Mint. Unity is simply killing Ubuntu.

As a side note. I always run my applications maximized. In Ubuntu, you can't do that without ending up with your Exit button on the left. That's very irritating!
    Last edited by Phantom010; April 2nd, 2013 at 04:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have done some extensive testing and have not yet reproduced the problem. It is thus possible that it now works well in my version of Unity. Beware that 12.04 is an older version of Unity, and Unity is evolving fast.

Beans

12.04 is supported until 2017. That's why I didn't install version 12.10, which is probably even less stable. I'm not in the habit of reinstalling an OS every year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Phantom...
    I used to have this problem with LO on 12.04. Recently it has disappeared.
    What version of LO are you using & is your system fully updated?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast