Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS & Unity: Ubuntu's "Win8?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS & Unity: Ubuntu's "Win8?"

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    The top is the generic xfde panel, with icons for opening apps etc.

The bottom is Docky with more icons to open apps, BUT it will place an opened app on it when opened from terminal, appfinder, drop down application lists etc.

;p
    Thanks

Beans

I dislike Unity also. If it didn't make my system so unstable and crash often then I could possibly dig it. I since switched to xubuntu 12.04 and things are moving along swimmingly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlugInfinite View Post
    I dislike Unity also. If it didn't make my system so unstable and crash often then I could possibly dig it. I since switched to xubuntu 12.04 and things are moving along swimmingly!
    You might want to check out 13.04 when it gets released...i am running 13.04 development and there are constant updates and changes for it specifically...it's running darn good on my system...though i do have a fairly new computer here...actually, i never recall unity being unstable or crashing on 12.04 or 12.10 either...so for you perhaps it is hardware related...anyway, check out 13.04 when it comes out if you are curious...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I've got Kubuntu 12.10 on my laptop, with the hideable panel on the left side, kind of like Ubuntu's dock. I've got Xubuntu 12.10 on my desktop with Panel 1 hideable on the left side, kind of like Ubuntu's dock. I'll be installing Ubuntu 13.04 sooner or later, but in the meantime, I really don't understand the OP's whining. Might as well be all upset that you can't use a quill pen and an ink jar.

Beans

MATE is pretty much it if you like Gome 2.
    Otherwise Gnome 2 is dead, it has ceased to be, it has expired and gone to meet its maker! it's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! Its off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-DESKTOP!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

It's just pinin' for the fjords.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i used unity for a while then switched to Xubuntu and loved it for a long time. however, i missed some of the unity functions that i was not getting in Xubuntu and switched back to Ubuntu 12.04. i will admit I am a firm believer in unity and Ubuntu as a 13.04 user. i do not think that i could go back, as the unity features are very productive and i can not live without it. i was thinking to switch to elementary luna, but frankly unity is much better. I do not even think i would switch to mac. and windows 8 is out of the question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by JSeymour View Post
    And if Ubuntu hasn't regained its sanity by the time it's no longer feasible for me to do that, anymore, I guess I'll have to find a new distro.

What you did with Unity on 12.04 LTS, Ubuntu, was completely, totally wrong for my needs. As much as it surprises me to say it, I think I'd almost rather MS-Win7, and I utterly detest MS-Win. Please, please, PLEASE, Ubuntu, reconsider your direction on desktop/laptop system window/desktop managers.

Jim
    I suspect it wasn't created for only you....
    16.10 amd64

Beans

The good thing here is that you have a host of options. Being that you are an avid Unix/Linux user, you have the ability to do one of the following:
    a) A different UI via (xubuntu being my fav)
    b) Use a different distro.

In my humble opinion(please note that this is just that, an opinion), Unity is terrible and with the whole Amazon fiasco etc., certain things have turned me away from Ubuntu.

I had been using it since 8.04..I still remember receiving my CD's in mail from South Africa and was so damn excieted, not only about the CD's..but an organization such as this.

That being said, I really tried to use Ubuntu after Unity was released.
    I won't go to into lengths as to why I disliked it but the general gist of it is that I felt it was not user friendly.

Gnome-Fallback didn't do it for me, KDE had been dead to me since I dropped Slackware for Ubuntu(8.04).
    I used Xubuntu for a long time and overtime dropped that too.
    I'm no stranger to other distros...I work at a place with close to 14000 UNIX hosts(mix of RH/OL/SLES).
    Personally i've played with everything from mandrake to college linux(anyone remember that)?.
    I was reading one of the Linux magazines and one of developers talked about Unity, calling it a "experiment in usability".
    I can't say the experiment is a failure but it doesn't work for me, just like it doesn't for so many unix admins like me at my workplace who have ended up dropping it as a desktop distro.

Currenly I'm using Mint and have zero complaints about it. I wish all the luck to Ubuntu in the future, I'm hoping I can come back as a user someday.

Beans

On a side note, in regards to the OP's comment, I miss a lot of gnome functionality and ease of use also.
    If you are looking for a similar experience, do try mate or cinnamon(if you are like me and enjoyed gnome 2 as much as I did, you'll like cinnamon). It's polished and I like it a lot on Mint.

I also agree with other people posting that gnome2 is dead, as much as I enjoy nostalgia...people like you and I(and multiple others) need to find other solutions as Gnome 2 is not coming back..unless you go back to it on an older distro .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast