Thread: Screen Goes Wonky Right After Login

Beans

Screen Goes Wonky Right After Login

Just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a Toshiba Portege R100, a machine that uses the Trident driver. I'm using GDM. Any ideas? Here are some messages I got from the syslog:

gdm-simple-greeter[1339]: Gtk-WARNING: Overriding tab label for notebook.
    [then "last message repeated 4 times"]
    gdm-simple-greeter[1339]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_style_context_set_path: assertion 'priv->widget == NULL' failed
    gdm-simple-greeter[1339]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_style_context_set_path: assertion 'priv->widget == NULL' failed
    gdm-simple-slave[946]: WARNING: Failed to remove slave program access to the display. Trying to proceed.

Beans

Re: Screen Goes Wonky Right After Login

Please review the "Video" section of the 12.10 release notes.

Use
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    to determine the model of your Trident GPU, and post back if you still have questions.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Ah, thanks @dabl, should have looked there days ago. I've got a Trident Cyberblade driver, so I'll pull back to 12.04:

"Trident Cyberblade - As the vesa driver doesn't work with this chip-set the only solution is to remain with 12.04."

Beans

Confirming that 12.04 works, and I'm up and running. Many many thanks, dabl! : )

Note, to get this to work I had to download and then update the Trident Cyberblade driver for my (old) machine (a Toshiba Portege R100), and then write a config file for it, described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trident