Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Beans

Re: Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    But I need to ask why you are so negative to fake-PAE. Maybe you have some bad experience of it. In that case, please let us know the details!
    I'm sorry if I came across as negative to fake-PAE, it's not my intention. I realise fake-PAE is there to try and fill the gap left with no no-pae kernels available any more. fake-pae is a 'fix' for something that should never have been broken in the first place. It's a case of treating the symptoms and not the cause.

fake-pae is not that simple for someone new to linux, most people will pop in a ubuntu cd, it won't work and they wont bother any further. There was no need to drop the non-pae kernels as far as I'm concerned, it just created more hassle for 'certain' people

My issue is not with you or fake-PAE, it's with the dropping of the non-pae kernels and creating this issue. Sorry if it came across as directed at fake-pae, I assure it was not my intention. You guys tried to create a fix for the situation for which you should be commended but I don't think it's an ideal solution and that is not your fault.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'm sorry if I came across as negative to fake-PAE, it's not my intention. I realise fake-PAE is there to try and fill the gap left with no no-pae kernels available any more. fake-pae is a 'fix' for something that should never have been broken in the first place. It's a case of treating the symptoms and not the cause.

fake-pae is not that simple for someone new to linux, most people will pop in a ubuntu cd, it won't work and they wont bother any further. There was no need to drop the non-pae kernels as far as I'm concerned, it just created more hassle for 'certain' people

My issue is not with you or fake-PAE, it's with the dropping of the non-pae kernels and creating this issue. Sorry if it came across as directed at fake-pae, I assure it was not my intention. You guys tried to create a fix for the situation for which you should be commended but I don't think it's an ideal solution and that is not your fault.
    OK

Then our opinions are rather similar (even if they differ a bit, I think we can live with that, and strive together to improve the Ubuntu based systems for old hardware).

... most people will pop in a ubuntu cd, it won't work and they wont bother any further.
    Another problem is that standard Ubuntu needs rather powerful computers (CPU and RAM) to run reasonably well. It means that even computers with more modern CPUs than the Pentium M and Celeron M will perform poorly, if people pop in a ubuntu cd. So it is important to promote the community flavours (Xubuntu and Lubuntu) with lighter foot-print.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Another problem is that standard Ubuntu needs rather powerful computers (CPU and RAM) to run reasonably well. It means that even computers with more modern CPUs than the Pentium M and Celeron M will perform poorly, if people pop in a ubuntu cd. So it is important to promote the community flavours (Xubuntu and Lubuntu) with lighter foot-print.
    I use the term Ubuntu loosely to mean any of the versions, problem however exists across the board.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi everyone,

Kindly help me to choose a name for my project by voting:

https://t.co/W9rJVMa8Jy

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi everyone,

Kindly help me to choose a name for my project by voting:

Thank you!
    52 votes so far

Once the name will be decided, I shall rename:
    https://launchpad.net/~mubuntu-team

And New Mailing List will be created so the Social Media Sites that are currently being used will be only for general chat and not any further development discussion.

Can't wait to beat Lubuntu
    It is great to challenge yourself and challenge the project that you put so much efforts into it. After all, we shall work together because maybe half of the interested people of my project are Lubuntu contributors too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

By the way, I had a chat today with a good friend on IRC and I've been told that Ubuntu Mini ISO can't be used to build a system but it is helpful for installation purposes. For some 'Technical' reason I couldn't honestly understand (maybe I need to sleep and get out from my Zombie mode so I can understand better), the Ubuntu Mini won't be helpful. Maybe I should get more information like why or how? but any idea if this makes sense?

P.S.
    Very soon, the name will be decided

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what's with all the birds?

why mini iso can't be used? it's a wattered down OS (netinstall). you install what you want and then remaster it. why not?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    what's with all the birds?
    All the birds name? there are only 2 names

Why? because this project is based on 'Freedom' of choice. It gives the users all the freedom to choose what they want to use and build their own system as they wish, want and/or desire so, 'Bird' means 'Freedom', that is why the focus was a bit more: https://t.co/W9rJVMa8Jy but there are other names which reflect the features of this project.

why mini iso can't be used? it's a wattered down OS (netinstall). you install what you want and then remaster it. why not?
    This is what I've been told by a friend and I was really tried and sleepy so couldn't understand much. I will try to find a technical explanation for that. I thought someone here might be aware of this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You were so excited when we haven't yet chosen a name? well, guess what? it is happening now so show me how excited you are

https://lists.launchpad.net/torios/msg00015.html

Thank you!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345