Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Old hardware brought back to life

Beans

Re: Old hardware brought back to life

Quote Originally Posted by hennmann View Post
    My my brother who is an Electrical Engineer with his Computer Science degree ( and is full of himself I might add) has a saying about Linux "Linux chooses it's own friends". I guess this answers the question why I personally know very few people that use it if it is this "user unfriendly".
    And I quote "Linux chooses it's own friends" Please explain.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

wow! quite long posts for something as ridiculous as cursor not working!

not offering any help here but just want to say that linux IS NOT hard to learn and DOES NOT pick it's own friends! the command line is not really ever necessary to run linux anymore as i can attest to as i can't stand the command line either.

if your computer can run that crapware windows 10, it's almost impossible to believe it can't run linux even better.

i'm setting here on an ancient everex computer with a POS via c-7 D, 1.5mhz cpu and 2 lousy gigs's memory and everything runs as sweet as can be. windows 7 didn't run to bad on this machine as far as just surfing the net, but the difference between that OS and Lubuntu is like night and day.

anyway, i hope you get your cursor issue fixed and can learn to love linux as much as i do now!! i love it so much i've wiped 6 of 8 computers and installed it on them. would've wiped all 8 but need windows on 1 for updating my tomtom and other computer is spouse's.

Beans

LucidPup and PrecisePup are both Ubuntu based, and run anything, nearly, PII, PIII, Duron800. Believe me, I dunnit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by missmoondog View Post
    wow! quite long posts for something as ridiculous as cursor not working!

not offering any help here but just want to say that linux IS NOT hard to learn and DOES NOT pick it's own friends! the command line is not really ever necessary to run linux anymore as i can attest to as i can't stand the command line either.

if your computer can run that crapware windows 10, it's almost impossible to believe it can't run linux even better.

i'm setting here on an ancient everex computer with a POS via c-7 D, 1.5mhz cpu and 2 lousy gigs's memory and everything runs as sweet as can be. windows 7 didn't run to bad on this machine as far as just surfing the net, but the difference between that OS and Lubuntu is like night and day.

anyway, i hope you get your cursor issue fixed and can learn to love linux as much as i do now!! i love it so much i've wiped 6 of 8 computers and installed it on them. would've wiped all 8 but need windows on 1 for updating my tomtom and other computer is spouse's.
    ''everex computer with a POS via c-7 D, 1.5mhz cpu and 2 lousy gigs's memory, '' sounds like you somehow got my old laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

About older hardware, I've been using the legendary Samsung NC10 netbook / mini laptop for lots of stuff with Xubuntu. But lately it seems that the display drives have gotten broken? About 80% of the screen gets corrupted from left side, and only 20% of screen remains working on right hand side. I think something is broken on driver level. It would be so awesome if this would get fixed. I'm not 100% sure that's the case, but at least it seems very plausible. Here's one post, I made about this earlier, but maybe the target group wasn't right, the true nerds dealing with old hardware, I mean.

I'm sure someone is using exactly the same hardware, I'm just curious if this setup is working for you with latest updates?

Beans
    Hidden!

@Sami Lehtinen,

If you suspect that the software is bad (the graphics driver), you can 'Try Xubuntu', booted from some live USB drives with different versions. At least the version that you installed from originally should work that way.

See this link and links from it,

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@sudodus,

I've done that... (it was mentioned later on that Google+ comment chain) Even booting from HD and just selecting older kernel works out, I just choose it from boot menu. Also if I run / install from live USB / CD the Xubuntu until I run update / upgrade and boot the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wink Re: Old hardware brought back to life

Quote Originally Posted by missmoondog View Post
    ...i'm setting here on an ancient everex computer with a POS via c-7 D, 1.5mhz cpu and 2 lousy gigs's memory and everything runs as sweet as can be. windows 7 didn't run to bad on this machine as far as just surfing the net, but the difference between that OS and Lubuntu is like night and day.

Actually, as a VIA® pc2500™ licensee, the Everex® TC2502 shipped stock with a 1.5 GHz VIA® C7-D and CN700 chipset with integrated UniChrome™ GPU - that's how mine was, prior to a complete rat rodding with an Antec® TruePower® New™ 750 Blue™ and Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP running 4 GiB DDR2-800. As of 2 April 2018 the Hot Rod gPC™ needs an Advanced Micro Devices® Athlon II® X2 240 or up, or a Phenom II® X4 915e to restore its performance - the Athlon 64® X2 5600+ blew out its memory manager and I'm running a 3500+ in the interim.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; June 28th, 2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Accurate data on hardware
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@Sami Lehtinen, it's a problem often seen with Atom processors. Here is a possible solution:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376580
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@mörgæs
    Awesomeness! Thanx, fixed. I tried Googling it several months ago, and I just couldn't find anything relevant. Nor anyone in Google+ knew anything about it. But now it's working perfectly. I knew someone would know it in this thread. - Gotta post a link there too.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast