Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Old hardware brought back to life

They won't in the future but they do today.
    Lubuntu 18.04 is available for 32 bit with support until april 2021 as described in original post.

I'm afraid that Lubuntu will fade out of people's attention after it goes medium-heavy-64-bit-only like all the other ones.
    Last edited by mrgs; December 28th, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    They won't in the future but they do today.
    Lubuntu 18.04 is available for 32 bit with support until april 2021 as described in original post.

I'm afraid that Lubuntu will fade out of people's attention after it goes medium-heavy-64-bit-only like all the other ones.
    Long ago Lubuntu's target was computers that are 12 years or newer. It is still the target, but now it means computers from 2008 and newer. Most of these computers can run 64-bit operating systems, but there are exceptions, for example netbooks with Intel Atom processors.

It is a major problem, that Ubuntu will not maintain the basic 32-bit architecture, and that several application programs have also abandoned 32-bit.

So I think it was a good decision by Lubuntu to adapt to the current situation within the Ubuntu community.

-o-

There are several other linux distros, that still make 32-bit operating systems with light-weight application programs, that can work with computers that are more than 12 years old. I think we can still use this 'old-hardware'-megathread to help people keep old computers alive, including those that are less than 12 years old and those that are more than 12 years old.

But at the same time I want to refer to the opening post, and remind of the limit when an old or weak computer is no longer useful for browsing the current bloated web sites.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Steps to get a HP/Compaq 6910p running with Lubuntu 19.x

The 6910p is hardware-wise a great machine, though not up to the latest „gaming“ specifications with respect to GPU performance.
    It has all necessary interfaces from birth, plus even more when you have the Port Replacement Unit, aka „docking station“. The only limiting factor is the display, which is 1280 x 800.

It was born with Windows Vista, and often downgraded to Win XP, neither of which are viable today.

Fortunately, it is fully supported by Ubuntu Linux and installation is much easier than with any Win flavour.

For Ubuntu, I recommend an upgrade to 4 GB RAM, for Lubuntu 2 GB is sufficient.

Preparation

Boot into the BIOS using F10 and go to the „System Configuration“ menu. Select „Boot Options“:

• CD-ROM Boot – Enable
    • MultiBoot – Enable
      • USB CD-ROM - First

Save, exit and boot.
    Open the DVD drive and leave it open.
    Power down.

Installing

Insert your DVD containing a Ubuntu 19.xx .iso image into the DVD drive and power up the 6910p. This should start the installation process automatically.
    Tip: in my experience you might have to repeat this a couple of times. Apparently remnants of an older Win bootloader plays up.

During installation, select keyboard layout (a no-brainer) and language. I recommend selecting US-English to begin with, you can change it later.
    Concerning disk partitioning, put on your thinking hat. I strongly recommend creating a swap-partition that is around 1.5 times the size of your RAM. Other partitioning is up to you.

Installation can easily take an hour or more. Don‘t be impatient.

Errors during Installation

You will experience repeated errors during installation and reboot that refer to „tpm_module“, „flip_done timed out“ etc. Ignore it, this will be dealt with afterwards.

Getting Rid of the Errors

As soon as you have a stable boot after the installation (this takes a couple of attempts, where the annoying error mentioned above keeps reappearing), edit (as root) /etc/default/grub and
    change:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash“
    to:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=SVIDEO-1:d“
    Save.

From a terminal then run:
    sudo update grub

Reboot.

The 6910p will now boot quickly (original HDD: ~100 s, SSD: ~25 s) with no errors. Further installations and customizations are up to you. Enjoy your reborn 6910p.
    Last edited by ml9104; January 5th, 2020 at 09:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Thanks for the advice.

A small comment: Swap partition is only necessary if one decides to use hibernation. If not then it's fine just to let Lubuntu take care of all partitioning.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

A small comment: Swap partition is only necessary if one decides to use hibernation. If not then it's fine just to let Lubuntu take care of all partitioning.
    Agreed. But with storage so cheap nowadays, why not plan for the future? And having hibernate is really wonderful on a laptop

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223