Re: Old hardware brought back to life

yes, exactly - 32 bit without SSE2
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

@maurer,

I tested your firefox-esr like this:

- Installed it into a persistent live Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS system (in a Sandisk Extreme pendrive). I had to download and install two more packages from deb files in order to make it work (in a more modern computer).

Code:
    ls -l Downloads/*.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 999 999 45340462 aug 22 16:07 Downloads/ff60sse.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 999 999  1209420 aug 22 16:24 Downloads/libnss3_3.35-2ubuntu2_i386.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 999 999   675934 aug 22 16:07 Downloads/libvpx3_1.5.0-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
    - Tested in an old computer with a Soltek motherboard dated 2003 with nVidia-nforce2 and an AMD Athlon with sse but without sse2. See the attached screenshot.

I am sorry, but I could not make firefox-esr work in this computer. I did re-install, but it did not help.

- Tested in a slightly newer Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 CPU. firefox-esr works in this computer.

Please advice what can be done in a different way:

- Which operating system (distro, version) should your firefox-esr be installed into (which system did you use)?

- Which extra deb packages should be installed alongside?

- Other advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

thanks for the test.
    I'll do more compiling next week i hope when i'll get access to my old sempron (no sse2)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by maurer View Post
    Hello community,

first of all thank you for the work you put supporting old hardware.
    I want to contribute to this by compiling a SSE-only firefox-60-esr.
    I have an old sempron but available in about 1 month.
    Is there someone with a SSE-only CPU willing to test my build https://gofile.io/?c=YKJGpG ?thanks
    i just tested this on an old amd athlon xp without sse2 support, running lubuntu 18.04.1 and get the following error:

error:
    dependency is not satisfiable:
    libevent-2.0.5 (>=2.0.10 stable)

Beans

unfortunately i wasn't; able to get back my old sempron so my development is stalled.
    you can test my latest build (targeting noSSE2) here https://gofile.io/?c=vY45ti

Beans
    Distro

that build does absolutely nothing

no pop up error messages or anything.

Beans

Hi. If you are desperately trying to get an OS for older hardware, I suggest that you have a look at the Ubuntu fork, Bhodi Linux.

The current version is based on 18.04. It is quite minimal, but it works, and being Ubuntu-based it seems to be quite stable. It has extremely modest minimum system requirements.

It is quite quirky and requires a readjustment of assumptions of how a desktop environment should behave, but once you understand its features/limitations, it is easy to live with.

The support community for the distro is small, very small, but, in my limited experience in dealing with this community, I have found them to be quite friendly and responsive, much like the larger community here.

I came to this distro because I have an old HP Mini-110 netbook that I use for travel. It has been upgraded to the maximum of 2 Gb of RAM, and it now has an SSD hard drive. It has a wimpy little dual core Intel Atom proc. It started out its out-of-box life by having Win 7 starter nuked and being loaded with a full LTS version of Ubuntu which ran spectacularly well. Over the years, it has been migrated various leaner distros, XUbuntu and LUbuntu and variants thereof. The updates around the time of Meltdown and Spectre patches crushed the life out of the poor little netbook which was then running LUbuntu 16.04. 18.04 was tried, but it was was worse. The little computer was rendered largely non-functional. It now works quite well with the current version of Bhodi - quite peppy.

I prefer the full version of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which I am using on my desktop as I type now, but this will not run, well not acceptably, on the netbook.
    Last edited by lah-ca; September 26th, 2018 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

A suggestion for trying to get older hardware to stream video at an acceptable level is the use of a blocking hosts file, such as the MVPS, there's no place like 127.0.0.1, hosts file - there are others, as well.

The purpose of the blocking hosts file is not to improve streaming performance. It is a privacy/security measure. It blocks unwanted connections from advertising and tracking servers through DNS by referring their URLs to the reflexive IP address 0.0.0.0 - telling your browser that your local machine hosts the remote content. Since your machine does not host it, no connections are made. Apologies to the technically adept for the pedanticism here.

The use of a hosts file on an older system, however, frees up system resources and can allow, for example, a Youtube video to stream at an acceptable level of performance, no frame skipping, no video corruption, no video stalling while sound continues.

Are there negative aspects to using a blocking hosts file? Yes. 1. General browsing will be slightly slower in that pages will take longer to load. The blocking hosts files are very large with thousands of entries. 2. There is an ethical downside. Many wonderful, entertaining, useful, important, etc, etc, websites survive only through advertising. You might be able to support some through donation or subscription but nobody can support all. Using a blocking hosts file cheats sites of revenue, and unlike an ad blocker browser plug-in, which can be used with surgical precision, the blocking hosts file has more of a thermonuclear Armageddon approach. 3. There is a maintenance burden. The Internet is more dynamic than it is static. Things change, and a blocking host file must be updated, usually every few months.

I don't advise just replacing your hosts file with a downloaded blocking hosts file. Rather preserve the head of your hosts file and append the blocking entries from the downloaded file. You will need to run a text editor with root privileges to modify your hosts file, btw.
    Last edited by lah-ca; September 26th, 2018 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lah-ca View Post
    A suggestion for trying to get older hardware to stream video at an acceptable level is the use of a blocking hosts file, such as the MVPS, there's no place like 127.0.0.1, hosts file - there are others, as well.

The purpose of the blocking hosts file is not to improve streaming performance. It is a privacy/security measure. It blocks unwanted connections from advertising and tracking servers through DNS by referring their URLs to the reflexive IP address 0.0.0.0 - telling your browser that your local machine hosts the remote content. Since your machine does not host it, no connections are made. Apologies to the technically adept for the pedanticism here.

The use of a hosts file on an older system, however, frees up system resources and can allow, for example, a Youtube video to stream at an acceptable level of performance, no frame skipping, no video corruption, no video stalling while sound continues.

Are there negative aspects to using a blocking hosts file? Yes. 1. General browsing will be slightly slower in that pages will take longer to load. The blocking hosts files are very large with thousands of entries. 2. There is an ethical downside. Many wonderful, entertaining, useful, important, etc, etc, websites survive only through advertising. You might be able to support some through donation or subscription but nobody can support all. Using a blocking hosts file cheats sites of revenue, and unlike an ad blocker browser plug-in, which can be used with surgical precision, the blocking hosts file has more of a thermonuclear Armageddon approach. 3. There is a maintenance burden. The Internet is more dynamic than it is static. Things change, and a blocking host file must be updated, usually every few months.

I don't advise just replacing your hosts file with a downloaded blocking hosts file. Rather preserve the head of your hosts file and append the blocking entries from the downloaded file. You will need to run a text editor with root privileges to modify your hosts file, btw.
    thanks for the 2 posts you made. what browser does that linux distro you mentioned in other post use and does it require sse2 as 2 of my old machines do not support it.

as far as your post here about the host file, that is EXACTLY what i use and how i update it. have used it for years now.

edit:
    i just did a quick search of their forums about sse2 and only found 1 result that didn't say anything about it and it's not mentioned in the system requirements. both my older machines easily have more than the minimal requirements though. just need to know about sse2.
    Last edited by missmoondog; October 2nd, 2018 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

@missmoondog

The distro has the Midori browser bundled because it is lean and small. But you can install pretty much anything, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Vivalidi, Firefox ....

I don't know about SSE2 requirements. You could ask them, or you could just try it by booting to a USB key or DVD and see what happens.

One of the big limitations for me is that the Distro is pretty much a single user thing (no user management interface) unless you are real cool with terminal work.

Also the desktop is not a desktop. There is a desktop folder in your profile, but its contents are not visible on "the desktop" and you can't put program links there. It is always really clean. LOL.

But it is fast.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast