Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Old hardware brought back to life

Now there is another new Lubuntu tarball and a compressed image file with 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' for old Intel graphics. According to tests (not only by me) this method is better than the UXA method with many Intel graphics chips.

Installing this way can make it easier to install Lubuntu in computers with some old graphics chips from Intel, where Lubuntu 16.04 LTS has problems.

Lubuntu_16.04_oem-intel.tar.xz

It is described at the following link (in my tutorial thread about the One Button Installer).

There is a corresponding compressed image file to be installed with mkusb,

dd_Lubuntu_16.04_oem-intel_2016-may_7.8GB.img.xz at http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/compressed-images

If you want to start from an official iso file, you can do it from the Ubuntu mini.iso according to the instructions in the first post of this thread.

In that case, please remember to install xserver-xorg-video-intel in the mini system before rebooting to start Lubuntu or Lubuntu Core.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi;
    great thread! I was wondering about the same thing, I have an old MSi laptop which I think still has MS Vista on it. I want to wipe it out and start fresh because HDD's too full to have both OSes. I don't have much RAM either maybe 1 Gig. Anyway I was wondering if I still could download the older versions. I had a very good luck with 7.04 but that was a while ago on the other hand the newest version requires so much more machine than I have (More RAM more HDD etc.).

If anyone can post a link to older versions of Ubuntu it will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.

Oh I have an Asus laptop which has 12.04 on it but I cant boot with it, I cannot get an Ubuntu startup menu at the boot-up so I just boot into Windows 10...Long story... I have to explain what happened...
    I guess I post under another thread.
    Thanks very much!

Beans
    Hidden!

We recommend to avoid old versions of Ubuntu or any operating system after its end of life. Then there are no updates, not even security updates, and your computer can easily be attacked via the internet.

Use a current version with a light desktop environment instead, for example Lubuntu. Your computer, that works with Windows Vista will work quite well with current versions of Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by matey3 View Post
    Hi;
    great thread! I was wondering about the same thing, I have an old MSi laptop which I think still has MS Vista on it. I want to wipe it out and start fresh because HDD's too full to have both OSes. I don't have much RAM either maybe 1 Gig. Anyway I was wondering if I still could download the older versions. I had a very good luck with 7.04 but that was a while ago on the other hand the newest version requires so much more machine than I have (More RAM more HDD etc.).

If anyone can post a link to older versions of Ubuntu it will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.

Oh I have an Asus laptop which has 12.04 on it but I cant boot with it, I cannot get an Ubuntu startup menu at the boot-up so I just boot into Windows 10...Long story... I have to explain what happened...
    I guess I post under another thread.
    Thanks very much!
    Try a 'lighter flavor' like Lubuntu or Xubuntu? You could use a 32 bit version which should require less memory. Could you upgrade your machine's RAM? I've purchased sodimms off of Ebay and so far so good, they've performed as expected.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unfortunately there are plans to drop 32 bit Ubuntu support and I think you people should be informed about that . A questionnaire has been launched to gauge the interest in keeping the 32 bit ISO:

https://bryanquigley.com/crazy-ideas...for-ubuntu-end

Please fill in for all your 32 bit computers.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Clicked on the link, went to the link there to enter my 32 bit systems and got the following:
    Code:
    The form "End x86_32 bit support, impact" is no longer accepting responses.
    Hmmm...
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That was short lived. It was launched only a week ago: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2329753

If the questionnaire is failing somehow I hope people will inform Bryan Quigley directly that 32 bit computers are still relevant.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The Lubuntu developers have built a new and much improved web site: www.lubuntu.me . While the old site often lagged behind the new one seems to be better maintained.

For Lubuntu related news it's a good place to start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Unfortunately there are plans to drop 32 bit Ubuntu support and I think you people should be informed about that .
    I'm finding that most of my 10 year old computers are able to run 64 bit Ubuntu and doing it very well.

$ inxi -Fx
    System: Host: ASUSTek-Lithium Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
    Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1) Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Machine: System: HP Pavilion 061 product: ED843AA-ABA M7267C
    Mobo: ASUSTek model: LITHIUM v: 1.05 Bios: Phoenix v: 3.17 date: 04/20/2006
    CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 vmx) bmips: 13604
    clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2400 MHz
    Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0
    Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x720@60.00hz
    GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV96 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Last edited by poorguy; September 2nd, 2016 at 11:53 AM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Date 3-Feb-17

SIS 771/671 Video Chipset Driver Installation Guide

This post presents a solution for installing Linux SIS drivers on an Olidata U40SL1 notebook. This notebook is apparently identical to ECS, Uniwill, and Olivetti units with the same model number, and the solution should work for them, as well. The solution should also work for any device with a SIS 771/671 video chipset.

The solution is for LUbuntu 16.04 32 bit, but it should also work for various contemporary Ubuntu distros and forks - and maybe Debian, as well.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Temüjin and mörgæs here at UF: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2350126

Thanks also to rasdark at Github for the largely anonymous and often thankless task of driver development: https://github.com/rasdark

Expectations

The results will not be perfect. The SIS drivers provide only some level of 2D acceleration and no 3D. There will be occasional display anomalies/corruption - restarting applications usually fixes this - in rare cases, rebooting or logging out/in is required. There will also be sporadic Ubuntu-has-experienced-an-internal-error messages, these associated with XOrg, probably as a result of the SIS drivers - the problem beneath the error message seems to be non-disruptive, however. In the end, 1280x800 resolution is achieved. The vesa drivers, the next best alternative, provide only 1024x768 resolution, with some minor distortion of aspect ratio and with no acceleration, and full screen video playback, Youtube, DVDs, etc, is either not possible or is of unacceptable quality. The SIS drivers provide higher resolution, better clarity, better colour, and better aspect ratio. They also allow full screen video playback, including DVDs, at a moderately acceptable level. I would also say that the notebook does not get as hot with SIS drivers as it does with the vesa ones, suggesting that the vesa drivers put more work on the proc. Overall the performance of the notebook is better. Web pages load faster, etc.

Don't Work in 600 x 480 unless You Are a Masochist!

The default fbdev drivers, those loaded, after installation, provide only 600x480 resolution. It is difficult to work with this. Create an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ in order to load the Linux-native vesa drivers which will provide 1024x768 resolution. You will need this file later, anyway, to load the SIS drivers.

If you are new/newish to Linux, you can open a terminal and use sudo to launch a text editor so that you will have rights to save the file in the X11 folder. For LUbuntu:

Code:
    sudo leafpad
    Copy/paste the following:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
            Driver          "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
            Device          "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Save the file as xorg.conf in the X11 folder - /etc/X11

Reboot

If you are new/newish to Linux and still have a terminal open:

Code:
    shutdown -r now
    This seems to work faster than GUI menu-driven reboot button.

You should have 1024x768 resolution, which will make the rest of the work easier.

Install a Log Reader

This is not a necessity, but if something goes wrong, you will have easy access to the XORG logs for diagnostics. For LUbuntu:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ksystemlog
    Prerequisites

Here I present the creation of the environment in which the compilation and installation of the drivers worked. Not all steps may be necessary but this was the state in which things did work.

Run the following in a terminal. Copy/paste is your friend.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential xorg-dev
    sudo apt-get install autoconf automake git
    sudo apt-get install libtool-bin
    # typo found here by Temüjin: sudo apt-get install xutils.dev
    # should read:
    sudo apt-get install xutils-dev
    Downloading, Compiling and Installing Driver

Run the following in a terminal. Copy/paste is your friend.

Code:
    cd ~/   #or whatever dir you want to use - note: the process works well in the root of the home folder.
    git clone https://github.com/rasdark/xf86-video-sis671.git
    cd xf86-video-sis671/
    git checkout for-xorg-1.18
    autoreconf
    automake
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static
    make
    sudo make install
    Check for Driver Files

Look in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers - there should now be two SIS driver files: sis671_drv.la and sis671_drv.so

Loading Driver: Edit xorg.conf

Open the xorg.conf file created above. Remember to use sudo to open the text editor.

Change:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Driver          "vesa"
    To:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Driver          "sis671"
    Save and close the file.

Reboot

Again you can use the command line, if you still have a terminal open:

Code:
    shutdown -r now
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by lah-ca; April 26th, 2017 at 05:46 PM.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast