Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Install Adobe Reader.

Beans

Question Trying to Install Adobe Reader.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10, and downloading Adobe Reader v. 9.5.4

I went to the adobe website and downloaded this file: AdbeRdr9.5.4-1_i486linux_enu.bin Download size is 40.0 MB.

However, no program will open it. How do I install Adobe Reader on Linux? Or is there some easier way? Thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards,

Cmiller

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Trying to Install Adobe Reader.

the easiest way to install adobe acrobat is to enable the conical partners repository.
    you can do that by going to Software Center >Edit>Software Sources> Other Software and checking the Conical Partners box.

then do a search in software center for acroread. and install it from there.

or once you get the boxed check you can go to a terminal and type the following to install it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install acroread
    If you want to install the program you down loaded you need to go to a terminal and CD to the directory where you downloaded the file and type
    Code:
    sudo ./AdbeRdr9.5.4-1_i486linux_enu.bin
    how ever though it may install it may not install all dependencies and may not add an entry in the menu.

Good luck
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Use the repositories rather than go direct; much easier!

Install flashplugin-installer package

Whoops! Sorry I meant acroread, not flashplugin-installer. The use of the word Adobe just took my thoughts the wrong way!!
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 31st, 2013 at 11:37 AM.

Beans

I wasn't actually able to figure out what you guys were saying. I tried those commands and none of them worked. Anyway, I just found out Linux already has a pre-installed PDF veiwer. So I'll stick with that. But I still want to figure out how to install programs from direct sites. I will need to do more research.
    Last edited by Cmiller2; March 30th, 2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller2 View Post
    I wasn't actually able to figure out what you guys were saying. I tried those commands and none of them worked.
    This isn't really a very useful thing to say. Did you get any error messages? If so, what messages exactly did you get? Those two commands should have worked - or you could just go to Ubuntu Software Center and find Acrobat Reader in there. When installed, right-click on the Ubuntu logo in the top-left of the screen and choose Applications. Acrobat Reader will appear in there.

Anyway, I just found out Linux already has a pre-installed PDF veiwer. So I'll stick with that. But I still want to figure out how to install programs from direct sites. I will need to do more research.
    There's no standard procedure for "installing programs directly from websites". It's not even recommended; there's a better way. The best way to install software is through Ubuntu Software Center. If the program is not there, you can add a "PPA" to your system that tells Software Center how to download and install the software.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I went to the adobe website and downloaded this file: AdbeRdr9.5.4-1_i486linux_enu.bin Download size is 40.0 MB.

However, no program will open it. How do I install Adobe Reader on Linux? Or is there some easier way? Thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards,

Cmiller
    As said, from the repositories would be the easiest way, but, I see from your other post, that you'd like to learn how to download and install directly from remote sites. For Adobe Reader, here's how you do it...

Go back to the adobe page and above the download box you will see a link that says "Do you have a different language or operating system?" Select that and make your three "step" choices from the boxes provided. First, the operating system would be Linux. Second, your language would be English (I assume), and finally choose the .deb option, and download. Then install the "Gdebi" package from the software center to handle this, and all future .deb installations. (Change the application of choice in your Downloads file to Gdebi. It will not only install the .deb package, but, will resolve any dependency issues automatically.)
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; March 30th, 2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: syntax

Beans

Hello,

I have installed Adobe Reader 9 using Ubuntu Software Center. Installed BUT all the menus are black (file, edit, view ...).

--> unusable

Worse I cannot uninstall the program. When trying with Ubuntu Software Center, I receive the error message:

installArchives() failed: (Reading database ... (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% (Reading database ... 80% (Reading database ... 85% (Reading database ... 90% (Reading database ... 95% (Reading database ... 100% (Reading database ... 162190 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking acroread-bin (from .../acroread-bin_9.5.4-1quantal1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/acroread-bin_9.5.4-1quantal1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/AcroVersion', which is also in package adobereader-enu 9.5.1
    No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/acroread-bin_9.5.4-1quantal1_i386.deb
    Error in function:
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of acroread:
    acroread depends on acroread-bin; however:
    Package acroread-bin is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing acroread (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Adobe Reader is there but USC is not able to remove it and I don't know thie program is located. I am therefore unable to remove it using the terminal.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Beans

What is the need for Adobe Reader??
    I mean there is a Document Viewer option in Ubuntu.Try and open your pdf documents using that.
    It consist of the basic need of the pdf file.
    If your pdf files are before in Windows and were open using Adode reader then, in ubuntu it directly opens from Document viewer. I guess its easy if you ont want the additional features of the pdf like writing and other permissions.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Trying to Install Adobe Reader.

Kind Regards,

Cmiller
    Well,document viewer is enough for ur need, as i mentioned above. But one more optimal way to get Adobe Reader.
    Here is the Solution of your problem:
    Go to the link and install it but before see the sys need below:
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=HRZAC

Here is the requirements for the Linux system,u can check that ur sys matches with it.>>
    Linux

• 32-bit Intel Pentium® processor or equivalent
    • Red Hat® Linux WS 5, SUSE® Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) 10 SP2 or Ubuntu™ 7.10
    • GNOME or KDE Desktop Environment
    • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
    • 150MB of available hard-disk space (additional 75MB required for all supported font packs)
    • GTK+ (GIMP Toolkit) user interface library, version 2.6 or later
    • Firefox 2.x or 3.0
    • OpenLDAP and CUPS libraries

Or what u need to do is>>
    Directly go to the Ubuntu Software center which is there in ur Os Ubuntu and check inside the "All Software" part. There u search Adobe Reader and install it,its 60 mb in size.u can get their more info about it.

I think now u can get it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well since we talk abotu PDF readers perhaps it is worth mentioning that PDF's can be edited in libre office draw.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast