Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Recommendation for Virtualization Solution for Lab/home that's easy to setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need Recommendation for Virtualization Solution for Lab/home that's easy to setup

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    The server kernels are compiled with different options and do not support various desktop things like sound, hotplug USB etc.

Having said that, the GUI with any of the desktop options does make like easier in general and you can always use the server kernel for maximum efficiency.
    This used to be the case, but it isn't anymore.

Ever since 12.04 both the Desktop and Server versions of Ubuntu use the exact same kernel.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Re: Need Recommendation for Virtualization Solution for Lab/home that's easy to setup

You should use VirtualBox, it is a perfect vm manager and runner, I use it all of the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I do to on the desktop for everyday use... can you recommend how to properly script having vBox load at startup?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by kendoori View Post
    I do to on the desktop for everyday use... can you recommend how to properly script having vBox load at startup?
    GUI or headless?

I wrote up a script to start/stop VMs automagically on shutdown/startup, but it only works if you run them headless.

You can find it here:
    http://charlesa.net/scripts/linux/vi...ipt-ubuntu.php
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm thinking of going headless, so thanks for the script. I'm waiting for the RAM and SSD to show up, but will hopefully build this next weekend.

Beans

Agree about VirtualBox, it has come a long way and is awesome...although so has KVM, LXC and others. I remember looking into this some time back --you may want to check VBoxTool out: http://vboxtool.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks on the vboxtool didn't know about it, but was already planning on using phpvirtualbox... I am planning on doing my build with 12.04 server and going headless. I purchased a 2 drive array eSATA enclosure and an SSD for the box to boot and run from. I will report back on results.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by kendoori View Post
    Thanks on the vboxtool didn't know about it, but was already planning on using phpvirtualbox... I am planning on doing my build with 12.04 server and going headless. I purchased a 2 drive array eSATA enclosure and an SSD for the box to boot and run from. I will report back on results.
    Just an FYI with phpvirtualbox, the developer of it is no longer working on it, so there are a few bugs, but nothing game breaking - at least none I have found yet.

Deleting/Creating/Restoring snapshots will throw an error message, but if you click ok and leave it alone for a few minutes the snapshop operation will complete just fine.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I used proxmox for a bit to test it out in comparison to VMware ESXi. I liked alot of the features that it had, but there was a good learning curve changing over as far as how things are done.

Recently I purchased a 3U 15 Bay supermicro server for really cheap on eBay to be a NAS at home with FreeNAS, then I have a Poweredge 2950 that I've been experimenting with the latest hyper-visors.
    It works pretty well with WD Red drives and RE4's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12