Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 dual install--boot repair issues

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 dual install--boot repair issues

Boot-Repair says it is offering to install the signed versions. I would be sure to run that.
    Then with secure boot on see it it boots?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I see it on the boot info file--Recommended repair, but I don't know how to run that? Can you tell me what steps to take? (I am not sure what setting it is talking about.) And that means I would have to disable the Load Legacy OPROM again, correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes on Load Legacy off, so you are in UEFI mode. Not sure, but I think you need secure boot on. Ubuntu should still boot, but on some systems it may not.
    But after update then you may need secure boot on to boot Windows.

More info on Boot-Repair:
    Boot-Repair - Updated Jan 1, 2013 to not rename first time, but rename if first time Windows does not boot. Post 706 and 711
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...769482&page=71
    Boot-Repair copied /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (in case the BIOS is hard-coded to boot into /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi or secure boot signed GRUB file shimx64.efi.
    A user disabled secure boot, and unchecked it in boot-repair. It now bypasses Grub and goes straight in to Windows.
    Renamed files:
    /EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi

To perform this, just run Boot-Repair --> Adv options --> tick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> Apply
    Then reboot the PC to UEFI/BIOS and chose ubuntu, and please tell us what you observe.
    Please enable SecureBoot in your BIOS, then run Boot-Repair --> Advanced Options --> "GRUB options" tab --> tick "SecureBoot" --> Apply.
    To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok, so this is the readout I got after running boot-repair with legacy off paste.ubuntu.com/5662827 and if I'm reading it correctly it supposedly moved grub back to sda4...(it says on line 671 that there is an error...)

When I changed back to secure boot in BIOS, I got the "secure boot violation Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup" message as usual (when I try to change that back).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It does not look like you have the signed version installed of grub.efi and kernels. You do have shimx64.efi which is the signed grub, but systems need signed kernels also like this:
    /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-26-generic.efi.signed

It looks like Boot-Repair just updated not installing the signed version. Did you tick off secure boot in Boot-Repair?

Beans

I unmarked the secure boot in the grub options. (Purge grub before reinstalling it is also unchecked.) Do you want me to run it with secure boot checked then? even though secure boot is off in BIOS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try that, then turn secure boot on in UEFI/BIOS.

Beans

when I run it that way I get a message to open terminal and type (copy/paste) commands the commands I mentioned in my first post (sudo dpkg--configure-a etc) I copy and paste those and click the forward button and get "Grub is still present. Please try again."
    Scratch that. I put them in one at a time and it seemed to work...now to check.
    Last edited by munnster; March 31st, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Beans

paste.ubuntu.com/5662907/ on line 656 is a message about typing something (I assume into terminal?)...Do I stay on this screen or do you want me to try something else before trying to reboot?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It looks like that command is to install grub signed version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast