Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus-sen

Beans

Re: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus

Code:
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    ��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus

Ouch. Looks not good. Well, let's try to make the file from scratch. Run these commands:
    Code:
    wget http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/amd64/nautilus-sendto-empathy/filelist
    awk -vRS='</?pre>' NR==2 filelist|sed '$s:.*:/usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy:' >nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    sudo cp -fv nautilus-sendto-empathy.list /var/lib/dpkg/info/
    sudo dpkg -P nautilus-sendto-empathy
    sudo apt-get install nautilus-sendto-empathy
    Last edited by schragge; March 30th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

This is what i got (but not sure how to manually configure anything - see end comment):
    Code:
       ********************************:~$ wget http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/amd64/nautilus-sendto-empathy/filelist 
     --2013-03-30 11:34:52--  http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/amd64/nautilus-sendto-empathy/filelist 
     Resolving packages.ubuntu.com (packages.ubuntu.com)... 91.189.94.203 
     Connecting to packages.ubuntu.com (packages.ubuntu.com)|91.189.94.203|:80... connected. 
     HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK 
     Length: unspecified [text/html] 
     Saving to: `filelist' 

[ <=>                                   ] 4,948       --.-K/s   in 0s       

2013-03-30 11:34:52 (42.9 MB/s) - `filelist' saved [4948] 

********************************:~$ awk -vRS='</?pre>' NR==2 filelist|sed '$s:.*:/usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy:' >nautilus-sendto-empathy.list 
     ********************************:~$ sudo cp -fv nautilus-sendto-empathy.list /var/lib/dpkg/info/ 
     [sudo] password for celia:  
     `nautilus-sendto-empathy.list' -> `/var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list' 
     ********************************:~$ sudo dpkg -P nautilus-sendto-empathy 
     dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: 
      files list file for package `nautilus-sendto' contains empty filename 
     ********************************:~$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-sendto-empathyE: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.  
     ********************************:~$ ^C 
     ********************************:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans
    Hidden!

Could you please again post the output of
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    and also the output of
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.md5sums
    I don't think sudo dpkg --configure -a would help here as this command doesn't change the contents of the .list file in question. But it won't hurt either.

Now, I think the approach I suggested was overengineered quite a bit. If the md5sums file is intact, the file list for the package could have been derived from it like this:
    Code:
    f=/var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy
    sudo sed "s:.* :/:w$f.list" $f.md5sums
    Last edited by schragge; March 30th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

FIRST ONE:

Code:
    uk:~$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    /usr/lib/nautilus-sendto/plugins/libnstempathy.so
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy/AUTHORS
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy/NEWS.gz
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy/README
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy/TODO
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/nautilus-sendto-empathy
    2ND ONE:

Code:
    uk:~$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.md5sums
    ��m
        ���g�=����=����-�f�����p���4��p�����$���p��������op�l�
    A��*���,�&�80��\������ ���"������,\8�&������"����0���B��-�H�=

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, the .md5sums is also damaged. Let's download the package and re-install it by hand.
    Code:
    sudo rm -fv /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.*
    a=$(dpkg --print-architecture)
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/empathy/nautilus-sendto-empathy_3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1_$a.deb
    sudo dpkg -i nautilus-*.deb
    Last edited by schragge; March 30th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

Thank you for all your help! Not sure if it worked. It seemed to, then came up with the same message.
    This is what I get, after entering each line separately:

Code:
       ********************-uk:~$  
     ********************-uk:~$  
     ********************-uk:~$ sudo rm -fv /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.* 
     [sudo] password for celia:  
     removed `/var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list' 
     removed `/var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.md5sums' 
     ********************-uk:~$ a=$(dpkg --print-architecture) 
     ********************-uk:~$ wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/empathy/nautilus-sendto-empathy_3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1_$a.deb 
     --2013-03-30 17:33:53--  http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/empathy/nautilus-sendto-empathy_3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb 
     Resolving archive.ubuntu.com (archive.ubuntu.com)... 91.189.92.200, 91.189.92.201, 91.189.92.202, ... 
     Connecting to archive.ubuntu.com (archive.ubuntu.com)|91.189.92.200|:80... connected. 
     HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK 
     Length: 13318 (13K) [application/x-debian-package] 
     Saving to: `nautilus-sendto-empathy_3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb' 

100%[======================================>] 13,318      --.-K/s   in 0.001s   

2013-03-30 17:33:53 (13.5 MB/s) - `nautilus-sendto-empathy_3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb' saved [13318/13318] 

********************-uk:~$ sudo dpkg -i nautilus-*.deb 
     Selecting previously unselected package nautilus-sendto-empathy. 
     dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'nautilus-sendto-empathy' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed 
     dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: 
      files list file for package `nautilus-sendto' contains empty filename

Beans

I think I should reinstall 12.04, and leave 12.10 alone for now. It has had error messages ever since the upgrade to 12.10. I installed 12.04 from disk and will use that again, but upgraded without disk to 12.10.

I thought the message re nautilus and empathy must refer to the empathy application, which I have installed. I have tried to remove this, but it will not uninstall. I have tried installing other apps and they won't install. Before, on 12.04, I used to be able to update the software, with reminders when I logged on. Now I never see that.

I really think that the only fix is a reinstall, and it won't be 12.10!!!

Thank you so very much for all your help. I really appreciate it, but will reinstall 12.04 tomorrow - and leave 12.10 firmly alone!

C.

Beans
    Hidden!

Looks like you've got more problematic packages at your hands than nautilus-sendto-empathy alone. This particular error is about nautilus-sendto. To check what other packages may need to be re-installed, please post the output of
    Code:
    file /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list|grep -vw text

Beans

Code:
       ********************uk:~$  
     ********************-uk:~$ file /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list|grep -vw text/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnome-bluetooth.list:                                data 
     /var/lib/dpkg/info/libavcodec53:i386.list:                              empty 
     /var/lib/dpkg/info/libavformat53:i386.list:                             empty 
     /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto.list:                                data 
     ********************uk:~$

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast