Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck half way through kernel update

Beans

stuck half way through kernel update

I wasdoing my daily update on my pc running 13.04 daily build, at some point i lost internet connection, after I regained signal my update became stuck,I have tried shutting down and rebooting but the updater goes right back to the same spot and stops , any ideas on how I can get this cleared out and going again?

Screenshot from 2013-03-28 20:55:32.jpg
    Last edited by cabz; March 29th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: stuck half way through kernel update

Shut down again and try from the terminal and watch for any prompts to run other commands.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Shut down again and try from the terminal and watch for any prompts to run other commands.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    well i tryed that and it did'nt work, so for giggles i tryed going into
    "advance options" on reboot . i ran the "check files " option and the "repair broken packages " option and that seeems to have cleared it up. what command would i use or where do I look to see what kernel version I am running now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

in a terminal run
    Code:
     uname -a
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

For me KERNEL 3.9 RC4 is Locking Up!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    in a terminal run
    Code:
     uname -a
    cool that got it, I am running the newest version kernel. the one that got stuck updateing .
    now i need to get a better wireless router!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You have had the same issue that I have had for yesterday and today. After brute force shut and rebooting I ran dpkg configure and that settinled things down but this morning Update Manager reloaded and became stuck again.

I fixed this today by running Synaptic Package manager (not installed by default) and finding the 3.8.0-15 kernel and all it components and marking them for re-installation. That worked and cleared this stoppage of Update Manager.

I saw in the news yesterday that some web site or other was under a massive Denial of Service Attack that had the knock on effect of slowing down the Internet. I think that our problems were related to this.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I also had a stall during upgrading of the -15 kernel yesterday but since I was using synaptic it was easily rectified . The repos were generally flaky, many hash sum mismatches when reloading the repo's, had to reload several times to get them all current , seemed worse on the main server than the US one .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just assumed it was local to me - but had the same issue yesterday with kernel update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Same here...update manager froze when trying to install the latest kernel update but i was able to get it straightened out by going to the package manager, locating the previous kernel (which had a ! mark in front of it)...when i moused over it, there was an option to "upgrade" so i let it do that, and it installed the newest kernel...and the update manager has worked fine since...

Having just had a problem with the updates freezing during install the day before (where i had to go into the terminal to get it straightened out) i thought it was the same problem again, but apparently it wasn't...
    It's quite possible of course, that BOTH incidents i had was related to that internet issue grahammechanical mentioned above...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast