Thread: Moving window control buttons

Beans

Moving window control buttons

I am trying to move my window control buttons to the right instead of the left.

I have used gconf-editor to do so by going to apps -> metacity -> general and changing the button_layout value to menu:maximize,minimize,close

When I made the change, the control buttons move to the right side within google chrome, however, they did not move for other windows (terminal, gconf editor, etc).

Did I do something wrong? Why would chromes controls but every other window not?
    Also, I noticed there is a warning message in the button_layout dialogue that says "this key has no schema". Not sure if that has anything to do with it...

If there is a better way to accomplish this task, please let me know. Otherwise, let me know if Ive done something wrong.

I have version 12.04
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Moving window control buttons

You can use Ubuntu Tweak, which has an easy GUI option to switch the window buttons to the right. It's found under the Windows Manager Settings option, under the Desktop category. Just select the "Right" radio button and you're done.

To install run these commands at a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response
    PopularPages - A Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think dconf-editor has superceded gconf-editor.

You'll get used to the buttons on the left side very quickly. Within a few days. I switch between Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 every day and the different locations of the window buttons never trips me up.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Terminal commands for dconf.

Get current setting...
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout
    Buttons on right...
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout menu:maximize,minimize,close
    Reset to default (left)...
    Code:
    gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout
    Last edited by stinkeye; March 29th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.