Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] MPlayer under Raring

Beans

Re: MPlayer under Raring

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have resurrected an old guide that early adopters of Raring might be interested in:

Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/mplayer.html

Any corrections or comments welcome...
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for making this available. I've always used mplayer from the Ubuntu repositories and never even thought of building it (I have built avconv to get some additional codecs), but it is great to have this available.

Cheers,
    Alistair

Beans

My pleasure Alistair! There is an older version on the Ubuntu Wiki that I may update soon....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Basically seems ok, tried the full how-to though generally wouldn't do mencoder or gmplayer.
    Have you had a look at the script on steroids: h264enc? I have run it a few times for curiosity and there has been a large amount of work done on it over many years. Does not make MEncoder any more of an option but it is interesting nevertheless...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Have you had a look at the script on steroids: h264enc? I have run it a few times for curiosity and there has been a large amount of work done on it over many years. Does not make MEncoder any more of an option but it is interesting nevertheless...
    Yeah, though it's been a few years it seems (from froggy1 over at doom9 iirc
    Atm my only linux machine is an aging laptop that tends to get real hot while doing encoding unless i keep the room at mid 50's or less
    (my new laptop does great at h264 encoding but as of yet haven't decided how to partition, ect. to install a linux distro & still keep win 7

Just to note -
    libggi-target-fbdev was removed from raring repositories on 04/19

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Just to note -
    libggi-target-fbdev was removed from raring repositories on 04/19
    The perils of jumping in early with a guide . BTW well worth a look at xvidenc as well...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    With my "very limited experience", I have found VLC to be a better video/audio player.
    Not so for me, mplayer2 (with Smplayer as front end ) is always faster and smoother, and if you have a Nvidia card it is much more efficient to use vdpau with mplayer2 (or mplayer) than with VLC. Only thing that goes for VLC for my purpose is that it plays some formats that doesn't play in other players and for streaming some contents.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I am intetested in compiling mplayer with vaapi support.

Beans

I have just run the guide on a fresh installation of the release version of Raring and all seems well. Thanks for all who had a look!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12