Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] MPlayer under Raring

Beans

[SOLVED] MPlayer under Raring

I have resurrected an old guide that early adopters of Raring might be interested in:

Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/mplayer.html

Any corrections or comments welcome...
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 27th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: MPlayer under Raring

Basically seems ok, tried the full how-to though generally wouldn't do mencoder or gmplayer.
    (the wget ftp did initially fail to login, retrying a min or so later was ok.

Could consider adding libopus-dev to deps & to file under doesn't matter the grand quest to enable fstrans in Ubuntu has ended, the default now should be no

Beans

Thanks for looking at the guide (again!). Interest in this guide has waned hugely since the old days but I guess I shall at the very least update with each change of Ubuntu versions. libopus-dev is added in and as for the fstrans saga I am glad that it has finally come to an end .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Thanks for looking at the guide (again!). Interest in this guide has waned hugely since the old days but I guess I shall at the very least update with each change of Ubuntu versions..
    May be that multimedia support has slowly but steadily gotten pretty good, either by default or easily enabled, compared to the past where people had to take care of themselves. So less interest in alt. means seems likely.

In any event good how-to's like your's are interesting in themselves, at least here.

Beans

I notice that mplayer2 seems to be the default version installed by Raring (at least for Kubuntu, but wouldn't that be true of all Raring flavors?). Should you consider perhaps revising the guide to use the source at www.mplayer2.org?

Thanks for looking at the guide (again!). Interest in this guide has waned hugely since the old days
    I've compiled a lot of copies of mplayer over the years, but if Ubuntu keeps current with mplayer2 development, I'll probably just use the version in the repositories.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    May be that multimedia support has slowly but steadily gotten pretty good, either by default or easily enabled, compared to the past where people had to take care of themselves. So less interest in alt. means seems likely.
    Could very well be, in which case many people are missing out on the joy of building their own media software as well as the knowledge gained in this undertaking.

In any event good how-to's like your's are interesting in themselves, at least here.
    My thanks . I am drifting further away from Ubuntu these days so really just maintaining a foothold here and one firm foothold is building MPlayer under Ubuntu. I have been doing this for so long that it almost seems part of me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I notice that mplayer2 seems to be the default version installed by Raring (at least for Kubuntu, but wouldn't that be true of all Raring flavors?). Should you consider perhaps revising the guide to use the source at www.mplayer2.org?
    The version of this guide on the community wiki has a section on MPlayer2, but I am unable to gauge if this has been useful as feedback from this has been very, very low. Could be that use for this particular guide is perhaps past its useful time but I am disinclined to alter the website version for the MPlayer fork. The wiki is of course fair game for anybody to change .

I've compiled a lot of copies of mplayer over the years, but if Ubuntu keeps current with mplayer2 development, I'll probably just use the version in the repositories.
    Perhaps have a look at recent changes to GMPlayer which now has a dedicated developer and is becoming usable. Works nicely on my system although I tend to use the commandline rather than any gui...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

With my "very limited experience", I have found VLC to be a better video/audio player.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    With my "very limited experience", I have found VLC to be a better video/audio player.
    vlc is a great player .

Beans

as the knowledge gained in the undertaking.
    Many times the more interesting side of the coin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast