Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: password problem

Beans

password problem

my laptop a ASUS K52N AMD 64 needs a password every time it boots up , the asus symbol comes up for 1 second then a Blue box , asking for a password ," I know what the password is " , it was set when I set a password in the BIOS , Now I can not get into the bios to remove the password option , does any one know how I can get into the bios to fix this Very annoying problem , I have pressed every thing , combinations of keys numbers you name it , before the blue box comes up ... Please any help , Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: password problem

This is a problem with using BIOS passwords -- you can easily get locked out of the machine.

If this were a desktop, I'd tell you to remove the battery on the motherboard, short out the CMOS pins, and reboot. This would reset the BIOS to its default and remove any password.

But, being a laptop, I don't know what else you would do.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Sorry I did not get back quicker , Thanks for that Mark , maybe when I get a new laptop , so for now , I will just have to put up with it , Mark
    Last edited by Mark 53; May 7th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans

I have this problem with password , like lots of ubuntu uses , changing the <<< password >>> , Administrator password , when you make it so you have NO password , next time you log in , it comes up with , ( you need the password ) I am getting Very annoyed with this , there is NO password , can some UBUNTU genius PLEASE write a small program to simple fix this VERY ANNOYING problem , I can NOT download software , BECAUSE , I need the NONE existing password , GRrrrrrr , also , if you actually want to have a password , ubuntu will NOT allow you to use a simple 1 - 2 - 3 or 4 letter or number password , needs to be longer .... Come on guys , Please a bit of common sence for us older Ubuntu fans , any help , Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Your rant is confusing.

My earlier comments to you were regarding a BIOS password -- because that looked like the problem you're having. The BIOS password, if that is what you're encountering, has NOTHING to do with any OS, Ubuntu or otherwise. To change the BIOS password on a laptop, you would have to disassemble it to the degree that you could remove the BIOS battery -- NOT a simple thing to do. Quite obviously, with a hardware problem like this, there is no "small program" anyone could write to fix this.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The key to enter BIOS setup on K52N is DEL. Just hold it down while turning on the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

Are you saying the BIOS has a password lock on it? I would say try removing the battery, but as far as I know it is impossible because the trick doesn't work on your labtop. However, I do have a few tricks you can try to use to bypass the password. When it comes up, press ESC 3 or 4 times. If that doesn't work, press it 3 or 4 times before the password screen appears. You can also try repetitively tapping the Ctrl key as soon as you power on your computer to reset the BIOS to stock and see if the password is gone or reverted back.

The only other option I know of is flashing your BIOS, and which if it is performed wrong, your computer becomes as useful as a rock.

Or are you talking about an actual Ubuntu account log in?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As many have already noted, it is not at all clear what your problem is. Is it:

1. The password on your actual hardware (your BIOS), or
    2. The password on your operating system (Ubuntu)?

From your post #1, it sounds like your BIOS. But from your latest post, it sounds like Ubuntu. You have already received good advice for the case of a hardware password. Hardware passwords have nothing to do with Ubuntu and you will just have to look up your computer manufacturer documents to see if they have a way of resetting this password.

However, if the situation is that of a software password, then you must appreciate that you are still barking up the wrong tree. I will try to explain why:

A defining difference between almost all Linux distros and Windows is the inherently higher security of Linux. However, this security is only as good as the measures that users are prepared to adopt. Among these measures, one of the most critical is a willingness to adhere to good authentication practices. If you are trying to disable password challenges, then you are destroying a central security measure of Linux and, in essence, trying to turn Linux into Windows. If so, then you are better off just staying with Windows, since it is more mainstream and runs more software than Linux.

Likewise, your request that an UBUNTU genius write a program to nerf Linux security is akin to asking Michelangelo to whitewash the Sistine chapel so as to get rid of the nudity. I'm not even close to a genius, but I have resolved to never give advice that nerfs security. Instead, I try to educate new users about proper security, and it starts with the following links:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...oject/security

If you nonetheless insist on doing away with your Ubuntu password protection, then you are on your own. I will also add that it will then only be a matter of time before you are owned and become one of the army of spambots that infest the Wonderful World of Windows and are the scourge of the Internet.

Beans

yes the bios password is the biggest problem , but , as I stated , I will just have to put up with it , save my bucks for a NEW hard drive and start again , thanks for your help Mark , sincerely , Mark

Beans

duck hook , why is it that some people love to big note them selves , you had it right in the first 2 of your lines , problem 1 ( my bios password problem ) and Number 2 line , ( Ubuntu administrator password ) and as for your PARANOID security rant , windows WAS on this laptop , But when I downloaded Ubuntu 12.4 , I deleted windows 7 for my only love ubuntu .. I have NEVER used microsoft **** and never will , stay cool brother , the only real threat to your life and security IS , the ONLY world terrorist , the USA thanks dude , Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast