Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

Every Nightly Build of 13.04 has recently been Failing the DELL UEFI Security Check A.K.A. Secere Boot, and I refuse to Disable Dell UEFI Secure Boot just to run the Latest Nightly Build of Ubuntu, as I would be putting myself at a huge Security Risk if I were to get some kind of Virus/Malware that Targets Linux, Just FYI. I will return to Ubuntu Nightly Build Testing just as soon as Canonical fixes their Secure Boot Problem.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

One of Linus' rants on security.

http://www.zdnet.com/torvalds-clarif...on-7000011918/
    the whole UEFI thing is more about control than security
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why not run with the version you got installed, and help squash other bugs?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    [...] I refuse to Disable Dell UEFI Secure Boot just to run the Latest Nightly Build of Ubuntu, as I would be putting myself at a huge Security Risk if I were to get some kind of Virus/Malware that Targets Linux [...]
    My understanding is, UEFI Secure Boot only improves boot-time security on Windows 8 machines.

How does it improve security on Linux machines

Er...

On second reading, are you saying that malware/viruses on dual-boot machines, infected with Windows 8, will target your Linux install?
    Last edited by VinDSL; March 28th, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

The Security Key was in here before! Why is it Gone Now? This Issue is Definitely NOT Fixed!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans

Not sure which repos I have enabled (posting from work), but Synaptic is reporting a UEFI signed kernel available.

See http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/raring/linux-signed
    Ryzen 7 5800X / Alpenfohn Gletschewasser 280 / Gigabyte X570S Aero G / 32GB 4000MHz C16 Team Group X-treem /
    Gigabyte RTX4080 Aero OC / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / Asus Loki 1kW / Lian-Li O11D Mini / Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo / Win11 / Kubuntu 23.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    My understanding is, UEFI Secure Boot only improves boot-time security on Windows 8 machines.

How does it improve security on Linux machines

Er...

On second reading, are you saying that malware/viruses on dual-boot machines, infected with Windows 8, will target your Linux install?
    VINDSL: There are some Viruses/Malware that target Linux! The recent Oracle Java Problem is one of them that can affect Linux!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Not sure which repos I have enabled (posting from work), but Synaptic is reporting a UEFI signed kernel available.

See http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/raring/linux-signed
    The UEFI Security Check started Failing on me sometime right around the time that Ubuntu Kernel 3.8.0.14 came out (either sometime last week or the week before).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    It goes without saying that one should not be using a testing version of Linux unless they are willing to accept unexpected consequences. If you are dual booting Win8, using Raring is not the best decision. I'm betting that when you come back it will be to the next testing version. You seem like that kind of guy. No real tester will ever be happy with the anything called "stable". Isn't that why you are posting in this part of the forum in the first place?

Beans
    Distro

Well the CDIMAGE Download Server is down right now so I can't come back at the moment.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast