Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    VINDSL: There are some Viruses/Malware that target Linux! The recent Oracle Java Problem is one of them that can affect Linux!
    That's not a boot-time attack, which is the only thing Secure Boot is intended to protect you from.

Secure Boot, on Windows or any OS, is not a magic panacea that protects you from any and all attacks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

this image is available in synaptic . linux-signed-image-3.8.0-14-generic . but I don't see a daily that says it has that kernel .

rant ! another MS attempt to kill off linux .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

I just had an idea , try making a usb stick with a persistence file and installing that kernel to it . I don't know if that would work , I don't have anything with a uefi bios to try it on .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    this image is available in synaptic . linux-signed-image-3.8.0-14-generic . but I don't see a daily that says it has that kernel .
    In raring-desktop-amd64, ck. the manifest, not in raring-desktop-i386

Beans
    Distro

Right now I am having trouble getting the Download Links on the CDIMAGE Download Server to work from within OEM Windows 8! The only Security Software that I have installed is Avast 8.0.1483 Premier Edition and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware 1.75 Beta. The Download Links at Releases.Ubuntu.com work just fine however anything older than 13.04 does NOT work on my system as this is a 2013 Dell System Model and the Ubuntu Kernel's in 12.04.2 and 12.10 are too old to work on this system.

Beans
    Distro

P.S. I should also mention that this is the PRO Edition of Malware Bytes Anti-Malware 1.75 Beta so it may be Blocking Access to the CDIMAGE Download Server I will try Disabling it and Avast and see if the Download works or NOT.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Right now I am having trouble getting the Download Links on the CDIMAGE Download Server to work from within OEM Windows 8.
    try again, if still issue then it's on your end, server is just fine atm & reasonably fast
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

I'm sure this is what MS had in mind when they pushed the OEM's into using UEFI . I fear we will have endless grief out of it . Fortunately there are still non UEFI mobo's available and I build my own boxes so I can dodge the bullet .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The issue is not UEFI, that is just a new (actually better in many ways) way to boot. It does away with MBR and allows many systems to all have a boot loader in the efi partition to make multi-boot easier. It also does away with interrupts and how hardware communicates with system. Everything is then driver based not interrupts and all the age old issues with interrupts.

The issue is secure boot and how Microsoft has implemented secure boot.

The few Windows 7 systems that used UEFI made installs relatively easy. No issues of 4 primary partitions as UEFI uses gpt partitioning.

Users have installed to Dells with UEFI, but better support is coming with each new kernel update and improvements to grub2 efi:

Installing Ubuntu 12.10 x64 on Dell XPS 13 Alongside Windows from USB New user with Details post 10
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2108450

HOWTO Ubuntu 12.10 x64 Dell XPS 14 (UEFI + Intel Rapid Start Technology + Flashcache), bumblebee - Details
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2117166

In the future we will be able to add our own keys (still $100?) but will need the very newest kernel to do that.
    UEFI generic shim - Secure Boot bootloader
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20303.html
    Matthew Garrett's Blog
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/
    New Linux UEFI boot loader - hash based no key
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/23113.html
    Last edited by oldfred; March 28th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

that may be fine for the major distros lie Ubutntu , Suse and Redhat who can afford the ransom but what about the niche or small distros that are on a shoestring but still very worthwhile efforts ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast