Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Mecharius;
    Try this to get to a command line terminal:
    Boot up to the grub boot menu; ensure the top line is highlighted and depress the "e" key for edit mode;
    Arrow down to the line containing "quiet splash" delete these terms and all after; insert the term "text" -with out the quotes -
    ctl+x keys to continue the boot process -> text terminal login;
    Enter your user name and then password ( will get no response to the screen).

Hopefully now you are logged into the system and can now execute commands.

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Mecharius;
    Try this to get to a command line terminal:
    Boot up to the grub boot menu; ensure the top line is highlighted and depress the "e" key for edit mode;
    Arrow down to the line containing "quiet splash" delete these terms and all after; insert the term "text" -with out the quotes -
    ctl+x keys to continue the boot process -> text terminal login;
    Enter your user name and then password ( will get no response to the screen).

Hopefully now you are logged into the system and can now execute commands.

just try'n to help
    The desired result was not achieved. Back to the black screen with the scrolling information. Ending line of:

[ 8.471373] sp5100_tco: mmio address 0xfec000f0 already in use.

After reading over what you said, I typed in my username and password, did not work. So i tried it with a space between. Did what i could but had no result. I am assuming that by no response from the screen you mean I will not see what I am typing. Because that is exactly what I have. Hit enter after typing in the information both times.

Beans
    Distro

Is there anyway to make it install from the command line when I am in the try ubuntu option on the disk? Change the settings from there?

Beans
    Distro

Mecharius;
    Yes, the present install may be mounted and accessed from the liveCD. However, it is late my time and I am tired. Let me look over again where you stand and I will get back at you in my Am. I am GMT -6 time.

I'll be Baackk

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

The amount of assistance that has been given to me here has far exceeded my expectations. Everyone who has offered me suggestions has my gratitude. Persistance is one of my qualities, I shall not be beaten by a Toshiba

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm a little uncertain about one of the F6 "other options" that you selected when you successfully booted from the CD. It's clear that nomodeset was one of them, but was the other one acpi=off or noapic? Obviously these are two very different parameters. Are you sure that when you attempted booting by editing the grub command line you typed those parameters exactly as they appeared in the LiveCD options? e.g., a blank space separating each option from the others, but no blank spaces within either command?

Beans
    Distro

it was acpi=off, for what ever reason when i typed it up here i was thinking no acpi. I shall double check and retry to be certain, but I am sure that I had typed them properly into my linux machine.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I had typed in acpi=off. But, I found at least part of my issue, I caught myself doing it, and corrected the matter as it came up. I was doing two things wrong, and I feel like an idiot for it. I was putting a space between the no and the m, and I was typing modset, not modeset. Much thanks for setting me up to notice this. Now I must learn how to make these settings stay.

Beans
    Distro

Mecharius;
    Wonderful attitude, you will go far.

Ok; procedure to edit the system files to exclude the module "sp5100_tco".
    1. Boot up the liveCD to the desk top (use your boot parameters);
    2. At the desk top activate a terminal -> combo keys ctl+alt+t
    2a. In this terminal you will establish a mount point; terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/test
    now one wants to make sure of what one is working with;
    2b,
    Code:
     sudo fdisk -l
    in that output IF there is only one hard drive will be a line "sda1" with an "*", the "*" denotes the boot flag set here.
    now we are going to attach that hard drive to the file systems' mount point as established above;
    Code:
     sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/test
    3a. Make sure we are smart and working with the correct file system;
    Code:
     mount
    ls -la /mnt/test/etc/default/grub ##(known reference)
    you see the mount point is made (last line from the mount command ?) and the "ls" command shows that the grub file exist. Looking good !
    4. Now it gets dicy, you are going to enter super user mode, where you have supreme authority, ubuntu is going to do exactly what you tell it to do -even if it is wrong- pay careful attention to what you and I are doing. We are going to make that edit to a system file.
    5. First make a backup - for whatever might happen reason-;
    Code:
     sudo cp /mnt/test/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf /mnt/test/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf-bak
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /mnt/test/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    ##note the use of "gksudo" we are using a graphical application and we want the elevated privileges as opposed to the term "sudo".
    6b. The file editor opens with the blacklist.conf file loaded ("*Untitled Document 1") is a non-invasive bug you can safely kill it.- black bold X and "close without saving -
    6c. gedit is ubuntu's default file editor, in this instance it is a what you see is what you get editor. So, arrow down to the last line in that file and to the end of that line do a "return" to start a new line. Documentation is a really good thing to do - the 5 "w"'s.
    add: this line: ->
    #XXX01Apr13 edit made to exclude module sp5100_tco as it conflicts with other modules upon booting.
    where XXX is your initials. Reason: makes a search easy when looking at some later time for any edits to any files. the "#" says to ignore this line as only a comment and not to be processed.
    enter to make a new line
    insert
    blacklist sp5100_tco ## do another retun
    and insert a "#" on this line. That indicates to anyone/thing reading this file that there is a newline character in that last line.
    add only "sp5100_tco
    #"[last line]
    double check that I and/or you have made no mistakes.
    7. SAVE and exit from your work -> back to the terminal.

8. MOST IMPORTANT if you have to - tie a string on you finger - (un)mount the hard drive from the file system, failing to do so will result in file system corruption on some level. I say again UNMOUNT that hard drive.
    Code:
     sudo umount /mnt/test
    9. Close everything out and back on the desktop -> reboot
    10. Try now to boot into your installed system without any boot parameters and see if you can. No, try with only the "nomodeset" option. No ? Add the next option .... No ? I have a boot options we can try.
    -------------
    This is lengthy and looks daunting, once you have done this a couple of times you can do it in a matter of seconds.
    ------------
    I have proof read this twice, looks good. But please look it over carefully, make sure you fully understand what we are doing and how we are doing it. Please if you have any questions, now is the time to ask before proceeding.

I welcome anyone else to proof read my directions.

how now brown cow

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

et all ;

Hold my last post in our back pocket, I was preparing my post while the ups were taking place. By all means try the correct boot parameters before the file edit procedure.

watching and waiting

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast