Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Configure Xorg - number of created screens does not match number of..."

Beans

Cannot Configure Xorg - number of created screens does not match number of..."

Hi, I'm trying to get a ubuntu OS running on an old laptop I recently aqquired. After failing to run lubuntu out-of-the-box, I've reinstalled as a command-line OS, and have manually installed the DE and File Manager.

However, The computer freezes on a black screen when I try to run startX. When I try X - Configure, It gives me the following error:
    number of created screens does not match number of detected devices
    Which I assume has been my problem so far.

This is a windows 98 era device, and I assume the odd monitor specs are causing the issue. The monitor is a 16-colour 640x480 LCD. (It may be useful to note that TinyCoreLinux works well on the system)

Does anybody have an Idea of what I can do to make Xorg configure correctly?

Full Specs
    Intel Celeron
    186MB RAM
    6 GB HDD with 3GB for Ubuntu Partition
    640x480 16-colour (4 bit) LCD monitor
    Last edited by SecretImbecile; May 1st, 2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add clarity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot Configure Xorg - number of created screens does not match number of..."

Manually edit the xorg.conf using information from xrandr and the monitor technical specifications?
    I doubt the DPMS option will work, so you'll need to get the HorizSync and VertRefresh settings perfect.

The 186M of RAM is a little concerning. Good call on installing a text xface to start. Have you considered using a pure WM environment, without a DE at all? Something like fvwm? A remember running that on a 4MB system - with 8MB, it screamed with speed.

Ah, the no-so-good old days. For $180, you can build a comparatively powerful system using dual core Atom/AMD CPUs that use about 25W. If that is too much, a Raspberry Pi solution will be half that price.

Good luck!

Beans

Re: Cannot Configure Xorg - number of created screens does not match number of..."

I'm not familiar with editing X's config files, is there a link you can point me to for editing that (I could only find articles on 10.04 and earlier)

Also, I managed to get the test screen running correctly (the command escapes me but it ends with -retro), does that suggest it's just a problem with my script setup, or could there still be issues?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

xorg.conf has been around for 20+ yrs. Older articles are fine. Most people would google for a working xorg.conf for the same monitor/GPU and use that, I suspect, especially for a laptop. The main concerns would be getting the resolution correct and the other items I specified above correct. Google is your friend.

I don't recall any -retro option to any command I've seen and apropos doesn't find

Beans

I actually get an error when using xrandr

Can't open display

EDIT: I've found an article which should help me with this
    Last edited by SecretImbecile; May 1st, 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah - that makes sense. xrandr needs a running X/Server to query. If X won't start, then there's no server to ask.

Just be certain you don't "overdrive" the display. On old equipment, doing that could burn out the monitor beyond repair. I destroyed a monitor around 1993 that way.

Beans

I can't seem to change to another virtual terminal after starting X, do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong or how I should be doing it?
    (I'm logging off for tonight, many thanks for your help so far )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do other terminals work if X/Windows is running? We are talking about <alt>-F1, <alt>-F2 ... F3, F4 ... right? Those don't work with X/Windows.
    To kill the X/Server process, I use <cntl><alt>BACKSPACE, but that is a local override. I can't remember what the new default is. I got used to CA-BackS and when it was changed about 4 yrs ago, I manually changed it back to the default I've known for 20+ years.

Sorry, can't really help.
    Last edited by TheFu; May 3rd, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First off... from a commandline sys... install package hwinfo
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hwinfo
    Then do
    Code:
    sudo hwinfo --framebuffer
    sudo hwinfo --monitor
    lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA
    Post all that info. Also post the make and model of your old Monitor.

Here's what goes on from all that- Your old monitor, that you say only supports 640x480 us probably too old to contain internal EDID data... So before you create an xorg.conf file for your system, you need to know what modes the monitor supports and the modes your video card supports at a certain scan rates... To create modelines to place in the xorg.conf file to recreate that missing data. Dependng on the video card, that configuration file can also point to the pertinent video driver.

If you really want to do that yourself, go to the 2nd post in my Graphics Resolution sticky (link in my sig line) and look for the modeline tutorial links... Or I can just create it all for you from the info you post.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    To other terminals work if X/Windows is running? We are talking about <alt>-F1, <alt>-F2 ... F3, F4 ... right? Those don't work with X/Windows.
    To kill the X/Server process, I use <cntl><alt>BACKSPACE, but that is a local override. I can't remember what the new default is. I got used to that and when it was changed 4 yrs ago, I manually changed it back to the default I knew for 20+ years.

Sorry, can't really help.
    Just FYI--

I think I remember <Cntrl><Alt><Backspace> keymapping being removed over 3 Ubuntu versions back... Now that is <Right-Alt><Print-Screen><K>. Yes... I still remap mine also. ***Cleaner method is to jump to a new tty session, loggin, then
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    Virtual tty terminals: TTY1=<Cntrl><Alt><F1>, TTY2=<Cntrl><Alt><F2>... (etc.) are a normal process provided by Linux kernel and their (now) graphical display is VGA palette, independent of XServer.. They started using that graphical display of those TTY sessions back with 11.04 and Grub2 1.99rc1... Their display characteristics are set via /etc/default/grub and SetPaletteRGB().
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 3rd, 2013 at 12:31 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast