Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linksys WUSB54GSC / Broadcom 4320 USB

Beans

Re: Linksys WUSB54GSC / Broadcom 4320 USB

Edited
    Last edited by dude1; March 29th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Beans

I had a similar card Linksys WUSB54G and in the past I know I had to use ndiswrapper to get it working. Squeeze & Lucid both worked with it out of the box though, but at some point Lucid stopped working with it for me, and I've been using Debian exclusively on that computer ever since. I've tried a few other distros on there and the connection varies quite a bit. Some will disconnect and keep asking for a password, others (ubuntu for me) will get a steady 428 bytes per second reported. Anyway, are the versions of Ubuntu the same on your netbook and desktop?

Beans

Edited
    Last edited by dude1; March 29th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dude1 View Post
    I didn'y specifically compare both versions. I think for Netbooks its slightly different than a Desktop but I really don't know more than that. The netbook is updated so I think they should be more or less the same. I just figured it would be something minor to tweek, but not the case! ARRG! My Netbook does have ndiswrapper kernel, I did see that the other day. I tried it on this one but didn't do anything. I wonder if the built in network on the motherboard is taking some kind of prioity on resorces over the USB wireless?
    To utilize ndiswrapper, you need the ndiswrapper packages AND the .inf and .sys files from Windows XP appropriate to your architecture; either 32- or 64-bit.

Signal strength of 50 is better than 42.

Let's compare the desktop and the netbook. What do each say about:
    Code:
    arch
    uname -r
    nm-tool
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Edited
    Last edited by dude1; March 29th, 2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I prefer that you observe the Code of Conduct. Please edit your post so you don't get an infraction.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

I'm not sure if it's any different today, but it took a bit of commands to set up ndiswrapper for the card, and like chili said, you need the windows driver files (you can grab them off the installer cd). I followed a really good howto in the past for this, but searching couldn't find it, but there are many other guides out there if you wanted to try your luck. I wasn't clear from reading your posts if you thought ndiswrapper would auto-configure the card and connect, or if you had already tried setting something like this up.

Beans

Edited
    Last edited by dude1; March 29th, 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Beans

Hm.. the password that it's asking for is definitely the Wireless Key right, and not the password to the keyring used to encrypt your wifi info? Sometimes you need to initially input that password to gain access I believe... but it should be OK, since you were connecting and getting signal strength reported.. hm..

Beans

Yes its asking for the Key, like its trying to connect but doesn't and keeps asking. Maybe its a security thing where there's some kind of missing protocol / handshake. I keep searching around lots of posts almost no "I fixed it" posts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast