• I have a 3.3GHz Intel Sandy Bridge CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card. I'm also running Ubuntu 12.10 (x64).
  • I'll install Ubuntu (fresh), and the first thing I do is install the mandatory updates it notifies me about. When I do this and restart, I'm greeted to a glitchy purple/orange screen where the login menu should be. I can hear the startup noise (the bongo-ish sound), and I can even see the cursor at the very top of the screen, but I can't do anything past that.
  • To see if I could fix this, I uninstalled/re-installed, but installed "headers-generic" from Synaptic Package Manager, thinking it'd be a problem with the Kernel. When I do this, I get the same result.
  • The only thing that "works" is when I install every single update, including proposed ones, and then switch the graphics driver(s) to the FGLRX (proprietary ATI) ones. However, this comes at the cost of running 3D apps crappily, and some not even launching, like Counter-Strike on Steam.

This problem has been plaguing me a LOT. What can I do to fix this?