Thread: Static IP for VMWare Ubuntu VM using wireless?

Beans

Static IP for VMWare Ubuntu VM using wireless?

I am running a windows 8 machine with VMWare running an Ubuntu VM. This machine also exclusively access the network via Wireless. I am using a VMWare bridged connection and when both the host and vm are running they get distinct IP addresses from my router like they should. However, when I login to my router I see in the attached devices list that the router sees both host and vm as the same MAC address. After much online research, I found this is a known issue with a wireless connection. What I am looking for is if anyone has been successful working around this problem to effectively give the Ubuntu VM a static IP address because getting a reliable IP address for the Ubuntu VM is critical for my work. Since I can't get the router to hand out a static IP, is there a way to do this in the Ubuntu VM; set the IP and other networking properties statically?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Static IP for VMWare Ubuntu VM using wireless?

Quote Originally Posted by mjremijan View Post
    I am running a windows 8 machine with VMWare running an Ubuntu VM. This machine also exclusively access the network via Wireless. I am using a VMWare bridged connection and when both the host and vm are running they get distinct IP addresses from my router like they should. However, when I login to my router I see in the attached devices list that the router sees both host and vm as the same MAC address. After much online research, I found this is a known issue with a wireless connection. What I am looking for is if anyone has been successful working around this problem to effectively give the Ubuntu VM a static IP address because getting a reliable IP address for the Ubuntu VM is critical for my work. Since I can't get the router to hand out a static IP, is there a way to do this in the Ubuntu VM; set the IP and other networking properties statically?
    If you want a Static IP address then simply set that up in the Ubuntu VM. This has nothing to do with the Virtual environment, it is basic networking.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way