Thread: Installing Gnome 3.8 via the PPA

Beans

Question Installing Gnome 3.8 via the PPA

Greeings and ubuntu!

I am running a Dell Inspiron 64bit 1Tbt 6gigs of mem laptop.
    Windows 8 is the native OS, I was able to disable the legacy and the UEFI, and clean install RR 13.04 and was well nigh proud of myself.
    Being thus heady minded I plowed into Gnome 3.8 with visions of great desktops....not.

Half way through installing Gnome 3.8 via the ppa's, I stepped away from the computer, it froze as it went into sleep/hibernation mode,
    When I got back, nothing would move it, so I rebooted, and have been rebooting hundreds of times since.

I get the blue Gnome screen, then the 13.04 login screen. I enter the info and it cycles back to the login screen. It cannot boot.
    I have a live cd in the chamber and a live usb plugged in...nada.

The only ray of sunshine I have is that periodically it will let me in the tty1 command line, but it's getting less and less.
    I can also get into the safety mode boot which allows me to drop in to a command line. The only problem is the safety mode command line does not seem to have access to the internet, which I am.
    The tty1 command line does seem to access it as I have tried different packages and commands, but once i boot, nothing,zip.

Is there a way i can mount the live cd? I figure if it can only see it i can reinstall. at this point i will suffer the loss of the info on the computer..but I need this bad boy up and running soon.

I would highly appreciate an ubuntu yoda who can raise this ship before it literally sinks in the quagmire.....

famous last words "no guts, no glory"....just a brick with a pretty window, thanks guys.

Beans

Re: Half way to brick from 13.04 to Gnome 3.8 and I don't want to see OZ

I just got in to tty1 and here is part of what i'm reading:
    Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-37 -generic x86_64 ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux (machine name) 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:3f5:2f3 UTC 2013 x86_64
    Kernel Command Line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic root=UUID=505b 451f-cc59-432e-8f85-c75081ad0f520 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7