Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Laptop for EASY Dual-Booting of ANY Linux Distro and Win7?

Beans

Re: Which Laptop for EASY Dual-Booting of ANY Linux Distro and Win7?

Quote Originally Posted by alien0304 View Post
    True i understand that getting it over UK. They might have UK plug as an Accessories option? Id e-mail system76 & ask yer Questions away. they have always answered my questions the same day. I am Considering buying a laptop from system76 in the future for myself. of course im in the US.
    They responded already and said:

A) Don't don't provide a UK plug, but they any power lead with a Mickey-Mouse shaped end will fit into the Brick end of their adaptor, so that's not a problem!
    B) They use a traditional BIOS, not UEFI
    C) They see no reason why I couldn't install Windows 7 on the system in dual-boot and they provide instructions to do so.

Sounds perfect for what I'm after, and the laptops are relatively cheap for a very good specification!

I might just buy one - of course, will need to investigate the Customs/VAT issues in hopes that they don't significantly up the price. I do hate tax...

Beans

Coming out quite expensive though... talking close to £1,000 once you factor in VAT + Customs... considering that my original budget was somewhere between £400 and £600... not sure if I'm ready to spend quite so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ouch man
    1000 British Pound Sterling equals
    1512.70 US Dollar
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Phugoid View Post
    Hmm... doesn't really match up to the specs I need.
    ow, you can try look in Asus Website, there is alot of them pre installed with Ubuntu, and still offer alternatif boot if not compatible with UEFI/EFI.

Beans

Okay, I went for it and bought one.

Got a Pangolin Performance with an i7, 8GB RAM and 500GB HD. Cost me $1,000 with postage which is about £650, but then I'll have to pay VAT at 20% once it gets here, most likely, so probably looking at £800 - £850 in total. It's double the budget I originally planned for my Laptop, but all the reviews for these laptops have been nothing but praise - apart from some quibbles about the battery life, but I tend to run the best of batteries into the ground anyway!

So it seems to be worth the money, plus it's far better specs than I was getting in the £400-500 range, and I'm just delighted that it's configured for Linux and will dual boot Windows without this EFI/UEFI nonsense.

It'll at least last me a good few years, and in the mean-time, the vendors can stabilise and sort out this UEFI nonsense and get it agreeing with Ubuntu. And hopefully Microsoft will also be sued for millions in the meantime... twats!.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123