Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why must LTS die?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Why must LTS die?

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    While I do agree with LTS releases, there are some things that push users/server operators to update to newer releases and/or give them serious headaches.

For example (seriously, this is just an example, dont fire at it...), you have probably heard of the RT Request Tracker, which Canonical uses for ticket management. I tried setting up that thing on 12.04 with LDAP Integration. It never happened, because 12.04 was missing a package required for LDAP integration (rt4-extension-authenexternalauth), which mysteriously appeared in 12.10. If I were an administrator in a company who was looking at long term support, and wanted to setup RT, I would be looking to use 12.04, which I wouldn't be able to use since it is missing the integration for AD/LDAP that is used.

The result?
    Either
    a) Company goes, whacks RT a few times, and compiles it manually
    b) Goes to some other distro where the package actually exists, while having LTS
    c) .etc .etc

It is mainly these random situations that I have against LTS releases
    *fires cannon*

Good examples. I haven't run into anything like that yet, but I do know what a pain it can be to set a box up to do what you want when you aren't given the appropriate tools/information.

I use 12.04 on my home server, but Debian Squeeze on my VPS.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I like the stability of LTS and is all I use now. For some apps I use PPA's/backports/compliling to get the newer versions, but truth be known, it is really very seldom I need the newest. I can only think of once since 8.04 when I started with linux and ubuntu, that there was not compatibility with an app and the LTS I was using that mattered. That was due upstream in duplicity that broke Deja-Dup for 10.04. I started and continue to use "Back in Time" for a GUI backup.

I think regular non-LTS releases are more important for new hardware, which I don't have.

;p

Beans

I think the whole concept of a a release is outdated its 2013 why can't updates keep flowing without breakage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I think the whole concept of a a release is outdated its 2013 why can't updates keep flowing without breakage?
    Are you saying having constant updates to the OS and packages without breakage? That is what Canonical is trying to do if they go rolling release and even though rolling release sounds great but if I have application issues with the interim releases a rolling release sounds horrifying for me.

Beans

Exactly what I'm saying

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What I think would be a nice is if there was a software update area in the software center where you could get the latest stable software kind of like OBS for openSUSE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Because LTS don't make sense in the world of Linux. There are thousands upon thousands of contributors and programmers around the world writting new, and updating software for linux. Meaning there is always a new and improved package for whetever availible for a Linux based computer. So with a LTS, these updates are being held back.
    i will just hang on this post as it sums up "the other side".

but here is my take on that. new and updated software is great. I have windowsXP which is from 2001 i believe. so ancient. yet i have all the latest software on it (well not some games that were only developed for win7) but most other stuff. and it all get's updated. from the day i've set it it has been working well. similar situation at work. i do not have to be bothered by OS. i can do my work in up to date software.

now then - it is tru that developers keer writing new software and updating it. but it is also true that they create new bugs. in windows if a major bug occures in certian software it is not such a big deal. you simply revert to older version until it is resolved. in ubuntu you would get an update of kernel which could beamajor bug in your system it could corrupt it, it could destroy it. it could be easy to recover, or it could be hard. you do not know that. eventually there will be a fix but until then. also it could be that it would take the fix a long time to come. i would like to see LTS where software is updated with new stable versions. while the main system itself stays the same.

here is how it happened to me - 9.10 it all worked though falsh was a bit slow. support ran out 10.04 went on.
    10.04 sound works propperly after patch, other things worked well
    10.10 sound worked majority of the time, everything else works as it should
    12.04 everything works
    12.04 a month and few updates later - sound doens't work, power management doesn't work anymore
    , screen saver occasioanlly crashes
    12.04 over 6 months later - sound works, power management sort of works, screen saver still crashes
    12.10 - why should i upgrade?

my point is - updates/uprgades - can improve things like you said, but they can also mess up things. especially when they included driver updates that were not propperly tested. and let's be hones - plenty things do not get tested onopensoruce and often users are the testers. so stable LTS versions are for those that need to actually work on the system and don't have time to troubleshoot every new bug.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I vote to Keep LTS

I want what the OS does; I'm not into fussing with it. I know lots of Linux folks are [into experimenting] and I am very grateful to them for their efforts. But I like the LTS protocol.

If I were an Office Manager (I'm retired ) I would not consider anything other than LTS . it is important to think about this.

What LTS means to me: I'm getting updates and fixes that we know are good and needed .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    I vote to Keep LTS

I want what the OS does; I'm not into fussing with it. I know lots of Linux folks are [into experimenting] and I am very grateful to them for their efforts. But I like the LTS protocol.

If I were an Office Manager (I'm retired ) I would not consider anything other than LTS . it is important to think about this.

What LTS means to me: I'm getting updates and fixes that we know are good and needed .
    If linux on the desktop if ever to be taken seriously in the business world, stability/reliability is paramount. I'll bet the majority of businesses would stay on WinXP practically forever if they could. They sure aren't going to risk 'upsetting the apple cart' every few months.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    If linux on the desktop if ever to be taken seriously in the business world, stability/reliability is paramount. I'll bet the majority of businesses would stay on WinXP practically forever if they could. They sure aren't going to risk 'upsetting the apple cart' every few months.
    Well most of us are not "businesses" and that model is not suitable for other users. I'll bet the majority of windows users don't "stick to XP forever" if they can afford a new machine or an upgrade.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast