Thread: usbserial pl2303 with connected epson tt88iii printer, troubleshoot printing issue

Beans

Unhappy usbserial pl2303 with connected epson tt88iii printer, troubleshoot printing issue

Hello everyone!

this post concerns an EPSON TM-T88III printer which I am not able to print on. The connection works upon a usbserial interface using the PL2303 serial port driver (as shows the lsusb output posted below in the environment details).

configured with cups' web interface and Linux Dotmatrix Foomatic/epson driver, i manage to get a beep on the serial connector at the other end of my usb adapter.
    • from this i am able to tell that data is sent through the usbserial adapter but kind of gets stuck at the door of the printer if i may metaphorize..
      • More details.. I get multiple beeps of different lengths on the connector when printing a self test page, which on such a ticket printer results in printing [A-Za-z0-9] and some crappy characters mixed multiple times.. (ticket length of approximately 200 dollar in a food market [=long])

I have tried many tutorials and researched through web, i must have clicked and flown over at least a hundred threads in the last two days .. all this kind of helped me a lot as saturday i didn't know anything about /dev/ttyUSB0 and now I know it is used in cups' URI thus means it should represent my printer's "display" .. though a simple 'echo "HELLO\x0D" > /dev/ttyUSB0' gives me not even the beep.

This post might get a little long as my problem is pretty complex and I have fixed myself up to one last problem: PRINTING
    I mean... I HEAR MY DATA! this is really frustrating as I kind of realize something is blocking on the printer's side.
    Though, the printer has been tested in my presence on a cash drawer and works perfectly with a serial to ethernet cable which plugs into the cash drawer touch screen.
    I am using a serial to usb as I developed an application and basically want to print browser contents to this ticket printer.

There seems to be a lot of people researching about my single printer model "TM-T88iii" though no one seems to have the real answer to it ..
    I have also tried a pySerial implementation, a C++ serial printer application but no printing and, when i coded or compiled from the web, no beep.
    Beep happens when printing using cups, such as web browser print or test page print.

I tried installing multiple drivers from Epson, first of course the TM-T88iii driver they provide on the Epson website.
    I have also downloaded and successfully installed the POSMicro Linux drivers for TMT through cups, though nothing happened doing this.

What else ..

I am able to print a self test page from the ticket printer buttons (power off > power on + FEED) and get the settings that should be set such as baudrate, stopbits, etc. (i will post all details underneath the problem)

on the cups interface:
    • Manage Printers > add printer
    • When configuring the printer, options are set automatically, such as baud rate etc. and most of them correspond (but probably are defaulted to..) to the printer's settings values.
    • As soon as the printer is added, i am able to produce that beep i am so glad to hear (as it means the adapter kind of works.. [and i have the insurance that the printer works as well; maybe, though, i will have to find another communication setting..])
    • I have tested multiple combinations of drivers / printer options but none could print out to my ticket printer, i have also tried using several drivers from the web such as the PPD files provided directly from the EPSON support website for my printer.

As i tell you, i tried installing the printer a billion times using cups' [i must say handy] web interface, though all settings failed, no setting printed anything, and the best i got is sound on the serial port. now.. maybe there is a data encoding standard i don't get which makes data receival fail, maybe [i just read 'Buffer capacity: 4K bytes' but don't know what i could do about that] my data is sent in the wrong way (sending tickets as ASCII and simple "HELLO\x0D" and "HELLO" files tried as well..).

I am out of ideas right now and probably will edit my post with more facts and analyses i have done...

Here is more about my environment and settings:
    Code:
    epsontmt printer configuration on cups' web interface :
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Description: ticket
    Driver: Epson Dot Matrix Foomatic/epson (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
    Connection: serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=9600+bits=8+parity=none+flow=soft
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux greg-laptop 3.5.0-26-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 8 23:20:06 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b083 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Bluetooth 2.0 Interface [Broadcom BCM2045]
    Bus 006 Device 013: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Here is the output of "cat /var/log/cups/error_log" :
    [too long, would massacre post readability..]
    http://pastebin.com/ELRxsNEa

Code:
    $ modprobe -l | grep usbserial
    kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
    $ modprobe -l | grep pl2303
    kernel/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.ko
    Code:
    $ ll /dev/ttyUSB*
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Mar 25 23:53 /dev/ttyUSB0
    i also tried things with minicom, and installed libgnomeprint, nothing to do with it ... with minicom i must assume i am not able to understand which part of the program i could possibly use to test my printer here..

NO /dev/usb/ available, nor /dev/lp0, guess this has to do with the cups updates as mention multiple forum threads. Though, many people seem to tell 'echo "hello" > /dev/ttyUSB0' should have the exact same effect, which i cannot achieve to produce ..

i found one more thing referencing the adapter ..

Code:
    $ ll /dev/serial/by-id/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Mar 25 21:45 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Mar 25 21:45 ../
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 25 21:45 usb-Prolific_Technology_Inc._USB-Serial_Controller-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
    Didn't find anything about the printer except after adding it through the cups interface

Code:
    $ lpstat -p -d epsontmt
    printer epsontmt is idle.  enabled since Tue 26 Mar 2013 12:04:26 AM CET
    printer MFC-235C disabled since Sun 24 Mar 2013 03:54:50 PM CET -
        Unplugged or turned off
    system default destination: epsontmt
    Ok got more interesting data:
    • on the cups web interface in the manage printers part of my epsontmt printer i can choose to "Clean Print Heads" which results in a stopped job (automatic) with an error message of "invalid printer command 'Clean'" This i all get from the cups web interface
    • using the same menu i may "Print Self Test Page" which results only in [a eureka feeling-like] beep and "printer job completed" message on the cups web interface (no printing occured, i got all notifications from cups though on my system.. "Printing Self Test Page" "Print Completed" ...)
    • same menu again "Print Test Page" which results in a much longer beep [heart stopped beating long] (job started at 12:15:49 and finished at 12:16:39 beeps almost a minute)

Even More Data late late in the evening:
    • when i unplug my printer, then print something, i get a Held job with message "unable to open serial port: No such file or directory" from the cups web interface
    • when i plug it back in i am now able to "Release the job" on the cups interface and that gives me a gnome notification with "Print error: epsontmt connecting-to-device" and after the held job is release, the test page is sent back to the printer again (now it works and i get the beep again as the pritner is connected
    • interesting bottom fact: when i turn off the printer but leave it connected through usb; i get no beep. When i turn it back on, the serial connector starts beeping again. Isn't it obvious that my printer is recognized but ignoring my data ? Somehow i have a feeling of data problem, maybe i send to big data blocks ? how could i change that ?

Might have gotten a bit unorganized, though all my problem is listed in here now, PLEASE; really, PLEASE someone share his / her knowledge and help me troubleshoot that ..

i'm out of power now ^^
    peace
    Last edited by evias; March 26th, 2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: it's late and i'm still thinking of the whole install procedure i had these last two days.. ^^

Beans

Re: usbserial pl2303 with connected epson tt88iii printer, troubleshoot printing issu

this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1444715

contained more questions than answers but it did suggest one look at linux OPOS/JPOS software

that sort of shows up some google responses: IBM support the Suse linux as SLED in this link http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=pos1R1003632

I don't know where you will find some experts to help you on this ......I suspect in places like IBM

I can only find an Epson driver for the newer 88iv as opposed to your 88iii

http://download.epson-biz.com/module...scat=32&pid=30

Beans

Re: usbserial pl2303 with connected epson tt88iii printer, troubleshoot printing issu

thanks for the reply at first ..

yup you hit the same download place i did.. i tried 4 different epson downloads (not to mention the tests using windows XP and 7), none would print anything, nor send data (as of my latest superpower of hearing data flow across serial cables... seriously i know it's normal, i'm just really frustrated the data won't print with any driver xD)

so .. yeah i'm gonna give a look at this opos/jpos software, read that too but didn't investigate deeper, seemed a bit complicated at first regard, and i forgot about it now so good point mentioning it .. checking that right away and i'll update the post with more input .. looks like a sleepless night for me!

again thanks for the post, searching the web can be a real pain, i start questioning my keyword search abilities after a while, hitting all the same doors .. so people help is welcome

bye

Beans

seems like there is not a lot of ubuntu support on this side of the door .. trying to find something but only found windows drivers which had already downloaded and installed previously (APD 4.54 ; TMUSB) and found a linux application "turboprint" which does not list my Epson model in the Epson printer list.

more updates on cups interface: only the "Epson Dot Matrix Foomatic/epson " gives me any response at all (beep) as all other drivers finalize the process by shouting an error message i may have mentioned in the original thread post.

again i'm stuck .. tried "locate *.ppd" after installing turboprint, it wasn't a lucky day i guess ..

using the pos.epson.com website i also installed "tmportconfig" and "tmpcsconfig", though i have no idea how to use those and am searching the web .. first search "tmportconfig", all the google results are coming from the epson download website... today i must really be cursed !

Oh... found some input in the tmt-cups implementation downloaded on the epson website, here is more data for you to know; i investigate further..

Code:
    $ dpkg-query -l libusb-1.0-0
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                              Version               Architecture          Description
    +++-=================================-=====================-=====================-========================================================================
    ii  libusb-1.0-0:i386                 2:1.0.12-2            i386                  userspace USB programming library

$ dpkg-query -l cups
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                              Version               Architecture          Description
    +++-=================================-=====================-=====================-========================================================================
    ii  cups                              1.6.1-0ubuntu11.3     i386                  Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
    hope this helps you help me ..

thanks in advance
    Last edited by evias; March 26th, 2013 at 04:57 AM.

Beans

still browsing the web ... i will go on pasting interesting data which might help you (me) understanding the issue or recognizing, etc..

Code:
    $ cat /proc/tty/drivers /dev/tty             /dev/tty        5       0 system:/dev/tty
    /dev/console         /dev/console    5       1 system:console
    /dev/ptmx            /dev/ptmx       5       2 system
    /dev/vc/0            /dev/vc/0       4       0 system:vtmaster
    rfcomm               /dev/rfcomm   216 0-255 serial
    usbserial            /dev/ttyUSB   188 0-253 serial
    ttyprintk            /dev/ttyprintk   5       3 console
    serial               /dev/ttyS       4 64-111 serial
    pty_slave            /dev/pts      136 0-1048575 pty:slave
    pty_master           /dev/ptm      128 0-1048575 pty:master
    unknown              /dev/tty        4 1-63 console
    i see /dev/ttyUSB uses usbserial driver, isn't that what it should? i think it is.. next..

Code:
    $ setserial /dev/ttyUSB0
    /dev/ttyUSB0, UART: 16654, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
    $ lsmod | grep serial
    usbserial              36684  1 pl2303
    $ setserial -G /dev/ttyUSB0 
    /dev/ttyUSB0 uart 16654 port 0x0000 irq 0 baud_base 460800 spd_normal
    $ sudo ls /proc/tty/driver/
    serial    usbserial
    Code:
    $ setserial -a /dev/ttyUSB0 
    /dev/ttyUSB0, Line 0, UART: 16654, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
        Baud_base: 460800, close_delay: 0, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: infinite
        Flags: spd_normal
    for the last one i assume baud_base must be updated here but i also discover UART 16654, which, as i read on a forum http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-249170.html , means that the serial connection is recognized entirely.

so now, after this setserial command execution i am able to produce a [the wonderful] beep from a simple
    Code:
    echo "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789" > /dev/ttyUSB0
    i had only tested with "HELLO", which was a really small data size and resulted in a very low beep i didn't even notice .. So now basically i produce this data-transfer by command line command execution directly. Though the printer does not happen [yet?]

digging..
    Code:
    $ ll /sys/class/tty/ttyUSB0/device/driver/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    0 Mar 26 05:15 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    0 Mar 26 05:15 ../
    --w------- 1 root root 4096 Mar 26 05:51 bind
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 Mar 26 05:51 module -> ../../../../module/pl2303/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Mar 26 05:51 new_id
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 Mar 26 05:51 ttyUSB0 -> ../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb8/8-2/8-2:1.0/ttyUSB0/
    --w------- 1 root root 4096 Mar 26 05:15 uevent
    --w------- 1 root root 4096 Mar 26 05:51 unbind
    Code:
    $ stty -a -F /dev/ttyUSB0 
    speed 9600 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
    intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R;
    werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
    -parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
    -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8
    opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
    isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke
    Last edited by evias; March 26th, 2013 at 05:56 AM.

Beans

even more ..

Code:
    $ udevadm info --query=all --name=/dev/ttyUSB0 
    P: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb8/8-2/8-2:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0
    N: ttyUSB0
    S: serial/by-id/usb-Prolific_Technology_Inc._USB-Serial_Controller-if00-port0
    S: serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.2-usb-0:2:1.0-port0
    E: DEVLINKS=/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Prolific_Technology_Inc._USB-Serial_Controller-if00-port0 /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.2-usb-0:2:1.0-port0
    E: DEVNAME=/dev/ttyUSB0
    E: DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb8/8-2/8-2:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0
    E: ID_BUS=usb
    E: ID_MM_CANDIDATE=1
    E: ID_MODEL=USB-Serial_Controller
    E: ID_MODEL_ENC=USB-Serial\x20Controller
    E: ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=PL2303 Serial Port
    E: ID_MODEL_ID=2303
    E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:1d.2-usb-0:2:1.0
    E: ID_PATH_TAG=pci-0000_00_1d_2-usb-0_2_1_0
    E: ID_REVISION=0300
    E: ID_SERIAL=Prolific_Technology_Inc._USB-Serial_Controller
    E: ID_TYPE=generic
    E: ID_USB_DRIVER=pl2303
    E: ID_USB_INTERFACES=:ff0000:
    E: ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM=00
    E: ID_VENDOR=Prolific_Technology_Inc.
    E: ID_VENDOR_ENC=Prolific\x20Technology\x20Inc.
    E: ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=Prolific Technology, Inc.
    E: ID_VENDOR_ID=067b
    E: MAJOR=188
    E: MINOR=0
    E: SUBSYSTEM=tty
    E: UDEV_LOG=3
    E: USEC_INITIALIZED=2627554295

Beans

okay okay, getting closer to the point [kind of] .. analysing cups/error_log when printing from the browser gives me this block of lines :

Code:
    (send print request from web browser)
    $ cat /var/log/cups/error_log | wc -l
    723 lines i am now analysing ...

Code:
    $ cat /var/log/cups/error_log | grep Job\ 88
    I [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Adding start banner page "none".
    I [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Adding end banner page "none".
    I [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] File of type application/pdf queued by "greg".
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] hold_until=0
    I [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Queued on "epsontmt" by "greg".
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] time-at-processing=1364300121
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] job-sheets=none,none
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[0]="epsontmt"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[1]="88"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[2]="greg"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[3]="Pizzeria Da Antonio - Back Office"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[4]="1"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[5]="PageSize=Letter number-up=1 Resolution=60x216dpi job-uuid=urn:uuid:d1502cd1-8539-3da1-6bc6-84b4d2b4af6f job-originating-host-name=localhost time-at-creation=1364300121 time-at-processing=1364300121"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] argv[6]="/var/spool/cups/d00088-001"
    "application/pdf" surely is not the one i want to use, i guess i should probably use something like "text/plain" at a first to fix the printing issue, though i don't know how to tell chrome to print with another file type .. any idea on that path ?

second bolded is the cups spooler file created for printing, the content of this file is not relevant as not human readable. I have also tried "rm -f /var/spool/cups/d*" with no success.

cups environment configuration logged at print time:
    Code:
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[0]="CUPS_CACHEDIR=/var/cache/cups"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[1]="CUPS_DATADIR=/usr/share/cups"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[2]="CUPS_DOCROOT=/usr/share/cups/doc-root"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[3]="CUPS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/cups/fonts"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[4]="CUPS_REQUESTROOT=/var/spool/cups"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[5]="CUPS_SERVERBIN=/usr/lib/cups"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[6]="CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[7]="CUPS_STATEDIR=/var/run/cups"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[8]="HOME=/var/spool/cups/tmp"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[9]="PATH=/usr/lib/cups/filter:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[10]="SERVER_ADMIN=root@greg-laptop"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[11]="SOFTWARE=CUPS/1.6.1"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[12]="TMPDIR=/var/spool/cups/tmp"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[13]="USER=root"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[14]="CUPS_MAX_MESSAGE=2047"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[15]="CUPS_SERVER=/var/run/cups/cups.sock"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[16]="CUPS_ENCRYPTION=IfRequested"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[17]="IPP_PORT=631"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[18]="CHARSET=utf-8"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[19]="LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[20]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/epsontmt.ppd"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[21]="RIP_MAX_CACHE=128m"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[22]="CONTENT_TYPE=application/pdf"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[23]="DEVICE_URI=serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=9600+bits=8+parity=none+flow=soft"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[24]="PRINTER_INFO=ticket"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[25]="PRINTER_LOCATION=cuisine"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[26]="PRINTER=epsontmt"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[27]="PRINTER_STATE_REASONS=none"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[28]="CUPS_FILETYPE=document"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[29]="FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE=printer/epsontmt"
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] envp[30]="AUTH_I****"
    the file description:
    Code:
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] ================================================
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] File: <STDIN>
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] ================================================
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Filetype: PDF
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Storing temporary files in /var/spool/cups/tmp
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] STATE: -connecting-to-device
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] PID 7978 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf) exited with no errors.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] File contains 1 pages
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Starting renderer with command: gs -dFirstPage=1  -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dNOINTERPOLATE -sDEVICE=epson -r60x216 -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792 -sOutputFile=-   /var/spool/cups/tmp/foomatic-mqh4we 
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Starting process "kid3" (generation 1)
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Starting process "kid4" (generation 2)
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Starting process "renderer" (generation 2)
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] JCL: %-12345X@PJL
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] <job data> 
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Wrote 96 bytes.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] renderer exited with status 0
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] kid4 exited with status 0
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] kid3 finished
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Kid3 exit status: 0
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Closing foomatic-rip.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] PID 7979 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) exited with no errors.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Wrote 96 bytes.D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Wrote 96 bytes.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:21 +0100] [Job 88] Wrote 96 bytes.....
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:30 +0100] [Job 88] PID 7980 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/serial) exited with no errors.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:15:30 +0100] [Job 88] time-at-completed=1364300130
    I [26/Mar/2013:13:15:30 +0100] [Job 88] Job completed.
    D [26/Mar/2013:13:16:51 +0100] [Job 88] Unloading...
    now for issuing print jobs i use lp which is more convenient than printing from web browser but results in exactly the same...
    Code:
    $ lp -d epsontmt -o fitplot -o blackplot -o media=Custom.612x792 -o source=DocFeedCut -o cpi=9 /home/greg/txtfile

OR

$ cat /home/greg/txtfile | lp -d epsontmt -o fitplot -o blackplot -o media=Custom.612x792 -o source=DocFeedCut -o cpi=9
    i have tried using none of these options; using some of them, etc.. couldn't find a working configuration, beep happens as long as the text is .. (if i send a simple "A", the beep is merely audible .. if i send the whole alphanumerical character set, it is recognizable...) but still no printing
    Last edited by evias; March 26th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.