Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: modern distro with gnome2?

Re: modern distro with gnome2?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I used CentOS for a l-o-n-g time, until the old version of Python it depends on and the old version of GTK it uses kept me from doing what I needed to do.

Red Hat will supply bug fixes to RHEL 6 for a long time. But, they are not going to change or improve Gnome 2. It's just bug fixes. Meanwhile, RHEL 7 will be based on Gnome 3.

Note, as well, that I did not trash Gnome 2. In fact, I praised Fuduntu.
    I know, I was flying the LOL flag to make sure my comment came across as tongue in cheek and not offensive.

But, the fact is that as an application development platform Gnome 2 is dead.
    That's not entirely true. Applications outside of GNOME 3 itself are only just now starting to move to GTK3. Most still build against GTK2.

I am sure that if you spoke with the Fuduntu or SolusOS devs you would find that they are already considering ways to move away from the Gnome 2 codebase while preserving its interface. (About one more year with Gnome 2, is what I recall the Fuduntu and SolusOS leads agreeing to on Google+.) MATE is already doing that.
    I'll try to find one and ask. (I'm joking) We have two options at Fuduntu. Option A: Follow RedHat until 2020 (or whenever) and pull fixes while developing on GNOME 2 ourselves (what we have been doing somewhat). Option B: Build a new desktop that acts and operates like the current desktop (more probable).

We haven't committed to a new desktop, Ikey and I talked about GNOME 2 having about 6 more months of life due to applications starting to migrate to GTK3. They aren't migrating to MATE, so that makes MATE the least likely option superseded by just staying with GNOME 2 or forking GNOME 2 (option C, very unlikely).

An OS that stays with "pure" Gnome 2 will soon find itself unable to run contemporary applications. Google has already announced that RHEL/CentOS is "obsolete" and future Chrome release will not run on it.
    That's actually not entirely true. GTK3 and GTK2 can be installed side by side. Google only announced RHEL / CentOS obsolete due to an aging version of GTK2, but we don't have that problem. We've already patched GNOME 2 to build and function with the latest GLIBC and GTK2 libraries.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    I know, I was flying the LOL flag to make sure my comment came across as tongue in cheek and not offensive.
    Wazzat you? I need to pay more attention to who I'm responding to.

And, I stand corrected on the GTK2/Gnome2 app viability bit.

I flit between distros and desktops. But, for anyone who wants to use Gnome 2, or who just wants a solid, reliable, fast piece of work, you do yourself a disservice if you don't try Fuduntu. It's pretty darned good.

Beans

Like already said Go for Fuduntu... It is good with Notebook, Desktop. It comes pre-installed with the Cairo dock, Dropbox, Libre office and some other useful tools and afterthe full update you are welcomed with a new Booting picture of fuduntu! And after the updates you will be updated with 3.8.x kernel too... It is good and the only thing i found is that it have a very bad login screen may of the GNOME 2...??!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by NikiNfOuR View Post
    Like already said Go for Fuduntu... It is good with Notebook, Desktop. It comes pre-installed with the Cairo dock, Dropbox, Libre office and some other useful tools and afterthe full update you are welcomed with a new Booting picture of fuduntu! And after the updates you will be updated with 3.8.x kernel too... It is good and the only thing i found is that it have a very bad login screen may of the GNOME 2...??!!
    I have tried it and get equally good results with Xubuntu and Mint Mate
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    I was reading today on OMG Ubuntu that gnome 3.8 will offer classic mode which means running a modern gnome while getting the classic gnome look.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/1...s-in-gnome-3-8
    Lol, wouldn't this make the mate fork kinda worthless? I mean if they're bringing back gnome 2 or just a better version of gnome 2 that kinda makes it redundent(well it was a good idea at the time). I'm kinda surprised as I thought they were just going with the current route, great to see this! Just means I 'hopefully' can have a modiable panel and works like gnome 2. I actually like gnome 3, kde 4.10.2 is great, cinnamon... very buggy, mate is kinda buggy to at least with themes anyway.

Gnome 3.8 was released a few days ago should pop up in Ubuntu's repositories soon or a PPA, should be in Arch's and Gentoo's soon as well (not in there as of now, never run live builds with desktops).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The classic mode uses extensions to modify Gnome-Shell to resemble Gnome 2. It isn't Gnome 2.

Beans

It's not meant to be gnome 2, the extensions thankfully were written for scratch for classic so the extensions will not break each release.
    I would like to be able to pin apps to the main taskbar though, but other than that it's fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was reading today on OMG Ubuntu that gnome 3.8 will offer classic mode which means running a modern gnome while getting the classic gnome look.

I'll check it out.
    Ive been using the latest fuduntu, an I really like the look, but the packages are dated mostly around Fedora Core 14. Fuduntu isnt supporting gtk3, and ive found the a frustrating lack of packages, or modern package support.
    But the look, modern kernel, and libc6 >=2.15, have made some features work very well. I wish they were at FC18 for the packages tough.
    ~Conradin~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Thank you... Somebody has tried it on ubuntu yet? or tried MATE on Ubuntu?

Fuduntu... I don't like fedora based distributions that much.

Regards.

Beans

Why so eager to stick with the past? Try xubuntu it's alot like the old gnome2 but snappier. I'm running 13.04 right now and am loving it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast