Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi requiring authentication

Hybrid View

Beans

Wi-Fi requiring authentication

Hi, I'm a Windows user, and today I decided to give Ubuntu 12.10 a try. I downloaded it and installed it normally on my Acer Aspire One C70. So far, so good. However, when I tried to connect the internet through the wi-fi, I wasn't allowed to do so. After feeding it the password (correct password, double-checked), the Network Manager tries to connect for around half a minute, then tells me that authentication is required. I tried to look for solutions online, but none worked.

The wireless security is set to WPA & WPA2 Personal. I checked with a laptop (using Windows 7) and the setting was also set to WPA2 so I doubt if that's the problem. Also note that the box 'Available to all users' is also ticked.

Would anyone be kind enough to guide me on what I should do to access the internet from my netbook please? Thanks in advance

PS Since I'm a new Ubuntu user, I'd appreciate it if you told HOW to do thing, instead of just telling me what to do... i.e. if you ask me to provide a log, please tell me from where to retrieve it.
    Last edited by MemoNick; March 25th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

Re: Wi-Fi requiring authentication

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

thank for your assistance..
    I'm trying to follow instructions.

Beans

The drivers are: r8169 and rtl8192ce. Thanks for your reply
    Last edited by MemoNick; March 25th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I downloaded the latest stable build and extracted it onto my Desktop. I'm trying to follow instructions, yet no luck so far. In the terminal I'm typing:

cd '/home/memonick/Desktop/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1/scripts/driver-select' rtlwifi

Note that I also tried variations; such as removing the ' ' from the path, to no avail.

I know that the path is correct because I'm drag-dropping the folder into the terminal window. However, I'm getting an error that it is not a directory. I also tried this line before it:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential

However, I got this in the terminal: E: Unable to locate package build-essential.

Beans

I typed '/home/memonick/Desktop/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1/scripts/driver-select' rtlwifi (same as before, without cd), and I got this: Must run /home/memonick/Desktop/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1/scripts/driver-select from the compat-wireless top level directory. Any help please?

Beans

Any help please? I've been trying to follow instructions from the second answer here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/23357...-inspiron-5420

However, I haven't had any luck. When I finished and got to the last step, I typed 'sudo modprobe rtlwifi' and 'sudo modprobe rtl8192ce'. Then I rebooted, yet nothing seemed to happen and I still can't connect to the wifi. Any help would be appreciated since I've been without internet since yesterday.

PS When I unload wifi modules using sudo make wlunload, the only thing I get is 'Unloading rtl8192ce...'

EDIT: I also started again, this time replacing rtlwifi by rtl8192ce. However, when I input './scripts/driver-select rtl8192' I get the error that the driver is not supported, even though it is my network card.
    Last edited by MemoNick; March 26th, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

Sorry to bump this, but I desperately need wifi to be working on my netbook by tomorrow. If you need any additional information, please ask for it.

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast