Thread: GRUB screen hangs with no options

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

GRUB screen hangs with no options

Oldfred.

You were very helpful with a previous problem I had. I have a new problem that I have not been able to figure out.

I have a dual boot pc with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10. For some reason, I get stuck at the GRUB menu. My keyboard and mouse don't work and there is no countdown to even boot into Ubuntu.

I am able to load Ubuntu from a live cd, however, I can't seem to boot Windows 7 from my original disk to access Windows. My computer ignores the Windows 7 disk and carries on to the non-working GRUB menu. Right now I need to access Windows 7 to do my income taxes.

It's been suggested I have a BIOS problem and that I should flash my BIOS to fix my keyboard problem. I'm still not sure how my keyboard can work to get to the BIOS screen but stops working at the GRUB screen? I posted my problem in the beginners forum as "Keyboard doesn't work at GRUB menu".

This is a new pc without any important files in the Ubuntu section but I do have some important files in the Windows section. In other words, I can do a re-install of Ubuntu as long as I can keep Windows 7.

My motherboard is a MSI Z68MA-ED55B3. It's got the UEFI boot stuff that I previously had problems with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Oldfred - GRUB screen hangs with no options

Bump. Anyone? Sorry, I've usually gotten pretty quick responses.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: GRUB screen hangs with no options

Took oldfred out of title. That may be scaring others away.

Whenever I flash my BIOS, I have to go back in and reset everything I had changed before. Not sure if UEFI which its improvements would remember settings, but BIOS always reverts to defaults. I had to take pictures of each screen to remember everything.

With my system, keyboard & mouse work in Windows & Ubuntu but not grub until I turn on USB mouse & keyboard settings. And then again after a BIOS reset. Initially I found it worked with the old ps/2 ports as I had the adaptors to convert, but that was a hassle to go back & forth.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Oldfred. Thank you for your reply.

How did you turn on USB mouse and keyboard settings? Is this something in the BIOS menu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It was BIOS for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.