Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation problem

Beans

Installation problem

Well hello everybody.
    A friend told me too install Ubuntu, and i tried.
    I came into the demo version and installed the full version, and restarted my computer.
    But when it opened again it was stuck by the part of turing on youre computer and it just blinks with this symbol: _
    I just thought it was normal but now it is like 2 hours ago it started doing that.. And i have no idea what to do now.
    And i was hoping somebody here could help me out.

And sorry if this thread is placed wrong, but i had no idea where to put it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I'm pretty lost in all this...

Hi, welcome to the fora.
    Please begin with a complete hardware description.
    Do you want to have only Buntu installed or should it work side by side with Windows?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Firstly, you have to tell us more about your computer: for instance,
    Laptop/Desktop: Model, Make and Specifications, especially Graphics. What OS was it running before you installed Ubuntu? How did you Install Ubuntu? Default Install, where you just kept saying "Continue" until it finished install or Did you "Manually" guide the installation?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I've found some informations about my computer.
    Here they come.
    CPU Typy: AMD Athlon(tm) II p340 dual-core processer
    CPU speed: 2.20 GHz
    IDEO Model name: Toshiba MK6465GSX - (s1)
    IDEO Seriel numer: 119EF2XQS
    Atapi model name: HL-DT-STDVDRAAM
    KBC Bios version: 01.08
    Asset tag: No asset tag
    Product name: eMachines G640
    Manufacturer name: eMachines

I have no idea if that it usefull but i hope so. And to get those information i pressed f2 when you start the computer up.

And i was running Windows 7 before this but windows did stop working so my friend told me too use ubunte like i said.

I dont know so mcuh about computers and all that but i put the disc with ubuntu on it(that i godt from another computer) and i got to the demo version. And i bgan the installation just did what it told me too and nothing else. But one problem i had was that i use a wireless usb adapter but that didnt work. So it was installed without internet. And at last it a window popped up and said: "Installation completed and you have too restart the computer." And i just pressed the restart button, and then all this happened with that symbol: _
    And thats all i can say.

Beans

And the last thing, i needed just too have ubuntu cause my windows doesnt work at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maikendaalman View Post
    And the last thing, i needed just too have ubuntu cause my windows doesnt work at all.
    The simplest solution will be to reinstall UBUNTU.

But before you do that, Boot with your Ubuntu USB/DVD. I hope you have Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 (You can also install Ubuntu 13.04 Beta, which is quite stable and it is due for release at the end of April). 12.04 is a LTS (Long Term Support) version, supported until 2017.

Boot with you ubuntu usb/dvd and choose to "Try Ubuntu" at the appropriate screen. Wait until you are presented with the full desktop, then open the application called TERMINAL and there you type;

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and post the output here...

Code:
    lspci | grep vga
    and post the output here...

Beans

it is ubuntu 12.10. But the main problem is that it doesnt start up my computer. I have the disc in my computer. I cant choose anything it just goes too that screen. The only thing i can get into is when you press f2 right before the computer "starts up"..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That is BIOS. Ok.. You press F12 or F10 depending on your BIOS to be able to boot from your disc. can you do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is Windows still on that machine? I am still not clear about that. If Windows is still on that machine and you choose the Install Alongside option, then when you reboot you will see a boot menu (Grub) from which you can choose between Windows and Ubuntu.

If you chose to install Ubuntu with the Use the Whole Disk option then only Ubuntu will be on the hard disk and you will not see a boot menu. But it is there non-the-less. As the boot process starts hold down the Shift key. That should bring up the boot menu. You do not tell us the version of Ubuntu that you are using. This is useful information that we need in order to give you accurate directions.

If you have installed Ubuntu 12.04 then the boot menu will show you an option to boot Ubuntu Recovery Mode. Select Recovery Mode and boot it. At the Recovery Mode menu select Resume. That may get you to a working desktop and from there you need to activate a video driver but first you need to get an internet connection.

If you have installed 12.10 then select the Advanced Options for Ubuntu. That will open a sub-menu where you will find Ubuntu Recovery mode. You can also try the Recovery Mode option of FailsafeX mode.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Yes. But if you can be nice and give me a link with the ubuntu i have too download on my disc. So i can be sure that it is the right one for installing without an operating system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast