Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation problem

Beans

Re: I'm pretty lost in all this...

No my computer does not have an operating system at all. And that is my problem bacuse i thought i had installed Ubuntu 12.10 but apperantly not. Because my computer is stuck, where it just shows a blinking symbol: _

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps we should start from the beginning. Your CPU is 64bit so it will run a 64bit Ubuntu. Although 32 bit Ubuntu will run on a 64 bit CPU. But 64 bit Ubuntu will not run on a 32 bit CPU. This is why I checked the CPU.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ath...r.37883.0.html

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I have built my own machine and I did not get a flashing white line when I first switched on the machine. I got a message telling me that the BIOS could not find an operating system to load. The hard disk was blank, you see.

The Basic Input Output System (BIOS) holds information about the hardware that the computer uses when it boots. It also looks for an operating system in a certain order that can be changed. In the past it was customary for the BIOS to look for an operating system first on a floppy disk then on a hard disk. All this took time. So, it became customary for the BIOS to simply look first at the hard disk. If it cannot find an operating system the BIOS will test us that this is the problem. You are not getting that message, are you?

To run/load the Ubuntu live session whether to try Ubuntu or install Ubuntu we need the BIOS to look for an operating system on a DVD or USB memory stick before it looks for an operating system on the hard disk. Because your machine is not finding the operating system on the DVD/USB it suggests that it is going straight to the hard disk and finding something there and loading it and it is braking.

We need to go into the BIOS settings and change the boot priority. You may find that you have legacy floppy support enabled. If that is the case then you may not be able to set a USB stick as the first in boot priority. Disable legacy floppy and you will find that you then have options for USB.

So, you have 2 choices. 1) Accept that Ubuntu is on the hard disk and try to get to a desktop through Recovery Mode options. 2) Re-install Ubuntu by first setting the boot priority in the BIOS.

By the way, if you try to re-install Ubuntu and you run a live session try to get that USB wireless adapter working in the live session. Or get hold of an ethernet cable and use that to get an internet connection.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 25th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Don't assume you don't have an OS - you may well have one installed which for some reason is not starting correctly - hence the flashing _.

I think if you had no OS at all your PC would refuse to boot and would generate an error saying "No Boot disc" or similar.

Follow the commands that fantab gave you - what results do you get ?
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups

Beans

I have dowlaoded the iso file on a dvd-r disc. Just following this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto.
    The first step for windows 7.
    Now the last step is too download it on my computer by using the boot thing.
    The last thing i dont understand...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I always use the last step Burning from Ubuntu because I only have Ubuntu on my machine. Once we have an image we follow this

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...desktop-latest

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I did what you said with the boot thing and.. thank you alot. My screen is now purple with the text ubuntu. But im going to stay in this thread cause well maybe things will happen again.
    but i cant make the adapter work because it is a netgear thing that says: Compatible with Windows 7. So my first guess is that it doesnt work with ubuntu. But im hoping that it will work now

Adn now my last question: How can i make my internet work because i that adapter is my only way too get internet cause i cant get an ethernet cable. Doesnt work where i live.

Beans

I got this message:
    This computer currently has no detected operating system. What would you like to do ?

1: Erase disk and istall ubuntu
    2: Encrypt the new Ubuntu istallation for security
    3: use LVM with new Ubuntu installation

i have no idea what to choose....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maikendaalman View Post
    I got this message:
    This computer currently has no detected operating system. What would you like to do ?

1: Erase disk and istall ubuntu
    2: Encrypt the new Ubuntu istallation for security
    3: use LVM with new Ubuntu installation

i have no idea what to choose....
    Choose 1. Erase disk and install Ubuntu....
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Choose 1. Erase disk and install Ubuntu....
    Thank you.
    Evrything worked untill almost at the end of the installation where it pops up a window that says:
    "Installation crashed.
    If you press close you would get in and we will try to report the bug" or something like that.
    what to do. I tried twice....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, Try again. 12.10 is, in my opinion, one of those Ubuntu versions that didn't work for me as well as the previous ones. If you have patience try 13.04 Daily, its in BETA and quite stable and fast. If you install this you will have to update it everyday until its final release in about less than 30 days.

Ok, with your existing Ubuntu, do this:
    Boot your machine with Ubuntu and at the appropriate screen say "TRY Ubuntu". It will boot to a working desktop. Play around for a while and set up your Internet connection. Then from desktop install "Ubuntu to Hard Disk".

Hope it works...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast