Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu on an OLD (1996-99?) PC

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on an OLD (1996-99?) PC

money is not really an issue as i have old computers lying all round the place, pick them up from all over the place, school tech coordinators gotta dispose of them somehow, just trying to find a use for this one but i guess it really is time for it to go, it will not go without a fight though as it definitely has some use for old software that i have and its similar to a first car, ya know, first computer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Windows 2000 is also unsupported. Though you might shed a tear there's no use for the old fella, sorry.

However the HP sounds like a good candidate for Lubuntu.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

it origionally had xp and ran flight simulator 2002 good, i have 2 of those, one used to be the family computer but got taken out by a trojan,my mom wants to get her stuff off of it before i do anything to it, the other is the same configuration i believe, but is clean and just needs a power supply as the other one needed one when a power surge took it out

Beans

And about the compaq, i might just have it as a benchmark for worlds slowest computer based on a power to weight ratio (around 50 lbs), so 10Mhz per pound of computer, LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

@mogaes
    i'am sory, i just try to help.
    i wil not do that again.

@Alaska Skier
    It's make me remember, i have a friend that have much older komputer,tch Pentium 75Mhz with 16MB Ram, and my friend want to try linux, so i installed Mandrake 8.0 on it with icewm, and he happy with it.
    So just go to distrowach.com and search about minimalist distro in there.
    but for New Firefox, you need more of ram.
    for XBMC, perhaps you could try much better cpu, perhaps thoose celeron you mentioned before.

edit:
    i saw nice thread in here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129326 , Ubuntu 12.10 for Old computer.
    Last edited by tux-gamer; March 26th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The OP just barely meets the hardware requirements for Debian Stable with desktop.
    For a machine from 96-99, that sounds about the right speed if you want hardware that old to do anything worthwhile.

You exceed the minimum requirements for Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans

i have decided to recycle the old sucker as i looked up the K6 processor and a CPU upgrade would be impossible as the K6 uses a different socket than all ney AMD or intel processors, final verdict: the compaq is only good for its tank of a case, all innards are good for scrap metal. solution: turn HP Pavillion into network media center that i can acess from my laptop thanks for all the help guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Skier View Post
    i have decided to recycle the old sucker as i looked up the K6 processor and a CPU upgrade would be impossible as the K6 uses a different socket than all ney AMD or intel processors, final verdict: the compaq is only good for its tank of a case, all innards are good for scrap metal. solution: turn HP Pavillion into network media center that i can acess from my laptop thanks for all the help guys.
    You're welcome.
    btw, for network media center, i have one, i use Router 3G TPLink MR3220 + HDD Ext, you can read in here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=29910
    ps: the last post is my post
    Laptop: Asus X201E (Intel Celeron 847 , 4GB DDR3 , 320GB 5400rpm)
    Distro: Kubuntu 12.10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12