Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wifi card shows up as eth0, not solved by instructions from ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Broadcom Wifi card shows up as eth0, not solved by instructions from ubuntuforums

Hi. i'm new here. I'm not brand new to Linux or Ubuntu but I'm not experienced enough to know how, or figure out how, to fix this myself. As in this thread -- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966631, if I issue ifconfig wlan0 up I get a return of 'no such device'. I knew I had a wifi card, because I was using it, so I issued ifconfig, and, to my surprise no wlan card was listed. That is when I came to ubuntuforums and found the aforementioned thread which lists a set of commands, to repair the issue, which I followed. The result was no improvement as well as now I can not connect my machine to my network by WiFi. The small WiFi status icon on the upper dock (I use Gnome Classic) is still there, but it is "empty", as in, there are no little bars inside the field of the icon to indicate connection/signal strength.

Now I have two questions. The first question is; how can I get the wifi working again? The second question is; once I have repaired the WiFi connection, how to I repair the original problem of the Broadcom WiFi card not being recognized when I issue ifconfig?
    Last edited by KittyCatHerder; March 28th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Broadcom Wifi card shows up as eth0, not solved by instructions from ubuntuforums

Hi let's start by looking at what your wifi card is
    and seeing what drivers you may have loaded.
    open a terminal ctrl/alt/t then COPY and paste
    the following commands.
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    lsmod
    rfkill list all
    please post the results.
    thanks
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans
    Distro

Re: Broadcom Wifi card shows up as eth0, not solved by instructions from ubuntuforums

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    Hi let's start by looking at what your wifi card is
    and seeing what drivers you may have loaded.
    open a terminal ctrl/alt/t then COPY and paste
    the following commands.
    Code:
    lsmod
    rfkill list all
    please post the results.
    thanks
    Thanks for the fast response!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Acer Inc. [ALI] Device [1025:0590]
    Kernel driver in use: r8169 Kernel modules: r8169

02:00.0 Network Controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Foxconn international, Inc. Device [105b:e042]
    Kernel Driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: bcma, brcmsmac

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
    lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    joydev 17393 0
    acer_wmi 23612 0
    sparse_keymap 13658 1 acer_wmi
    snd_hda_codec_realtek 174313 1
    snd_hda_intel 32719 3
    snd_hda_codec 109562 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
    snd_hwdep 13276 1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_pcm 80916 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    psmouse 86520 0
    uvcvideo 67203 0
    serio_raw 13027 0
    videodev 86588 1 uvcvideo
    snd_seq_midi 13132 0
    snd_rawmidi 25424 1 snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq_midi_event 14475 1 snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq 51592 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_timer 28931 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device 14172 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
    rfcomm 38139 0
    parport_pc 32114 0
    bnep 17830 2
    bluetooth 158479 10 rfcomm,bnep
    ppdev 12849 0
    wmi 18744 1 acer_wmi
    snd 62218 15 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec, snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,sn d_seq_device
    rts_pstor 353252 0
    i915 423466 3
    soundcore 14635 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 14108 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    mac_hid 13077 0
    drm_kms_helper 45466 1 i915
    drm 197641 4 i915,drm_kms_helper
    b43 342669 0
    i2c_algo_bit 13199 1 i915
    video 19115 1 i915
    mac80211 436493 1 b43
    cfg80211 178877 2 b43,mac80211
    bcma 25651 1 b43
    ssb 50691 1 b43
    lp 17455 0
    parport 40930 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
    r8169 56368 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
    rfkill list all
    0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard Blocked: no

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Immediately after issuing
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    the monitor shut down (or the VGA failed or something) and the machine went into stand-by. It woke fine as usual but I haven't seen the screen act that way before.

So, is there anything to be learned by the results here?
    Last edited by KittyCatHerder; March 25th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, lets toss those drivers into the blacklist file
    and load a different driver. open a terminal ctrl/alt/t
    then Please COPY and paste
    the following...
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    add the 2 lines at the very end of the file..
    Code:
    blacklist bcma
    blacklist brcmsmac
    proof read carefully. save and close gedit.
    then at terminal do..
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac
    sudo modprobe -r bcma
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo modprobe wl
    thanks.
    Last edited by Hadaka; March 25th, 2013 at 06:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Everything responded as expcted until I tried to
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r bcma
    . I got FATAL: Module is in use. I'm not sure if I should still issue
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source sudo modprobe wl
    or not.

I tried
    Code:
    sudo modprobe
    which seems to have worked or, that is, terminal returned to prompt. I don't know what it did though because I am not
    familar with modprobe.

As it is very late now, I am going to have to coem back to this tomorrow. thanks for your help so far! Hopefully you will still have time tomorrow to keep
    walking me through the fix!
    Last edited by KittyCatHerder; March 25th, 2013 at 06:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, yes continue with the command..
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    the command will blacklist bcma for you.
    thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    Hi, yes continue with the command..
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    the command will blacklist bcma for you.
    thanks.
    I've just plugged in to my network by ethernet and installed bcmwl-kernel-source and, then, I ran the
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    still no WiFi

If I understood the commands that I were running I might be able to help you to figure out why it didn't work but I'm afraid I have very little understanding of what most of these commands do.

What next, then?

Beans
    Distro

Just messing around I found the following Xorg error and, as well, as a result of searching for that error, a related forum thread: b43-phy0 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 10, Type 8, Revision 1) https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130806

You will see in the linked thread that the poster, like me, has the BCM4313, which caused the same error I found and reported above. I, myself, can not learn anything form this aside from that it appears that the problem might either be related to a programming error in the kernel, or the 64 addressing bits operating system (I do not know if I am using the 64 bit Ubuntu or another version).

To quote a post from that linked thread, "According to wireless.kernel.org, b43 doesn't support BCM4313 - you can use wl or brcmsmac". If I understand correctly what I have been doing by issuing these commands from the previous posts, then, I am not using the "b43" driver that is known to not work with the BCM4314 but, instead, I am using the "wl" driver. Because of those things I'm making a huge leap and assuming that my problem might not be caused entirely or even partly by the driver I am using. This is mostly guessing by putting things together that don't necessarily go together.

When I look at the "Additional Drivers" GUI I see that it says my machine is using the "Broadcom STA wireless driver". Does that mean I am not using the driver you intended me to be using at this point?

I started using Linux because I wanted to learn new things and Linux has given me a rich environment for that. That said, I have a lot of questions about the commands and techniques we have been discussing here that I would like to address after the WiFi problem is solved. This "driver" as well as "driver kernel" business is a little confusing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My colleague Hadaka may be on a short break, so, hopefully not stepping on any toes, allow me to help just a bit.
    If I understand correctly what I have been doing by issuing these commands from the previous posts, then, I am not using the "b43" driver that is known to not work with the BCM4314 but, instead, I am using the "wl" driver.
    That's what we're trying to do. Please confirm which driver is loaded by LIsting all the MODules:
    Code:
    lsmod
    Is b43 listed? Is wl?
    When I look at the "Additional Drivers" GUI I see that it says my machine is using the "Broadcom STA wireless driver". Does that mean I am not using the driver you intended me to be using at this point?
    Nope. The Broadcom STA driver provides wl. That's what we want.

Hadaka will, no doubt, probe why the wireless isn't working. What do these tell him?
    Code:
    iwconfig
    sudo iwlist eth1 scan
    rfkill list all
    Each different Broadcom device, and there are dozens, has one best way to get it going. Many have two ways and one way is better in terms of performance. In the case of your device:
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727]
    ...we believe the STA driver, providing wl, is the best.

You are doing very well, I urge you to keep studying and keep learning.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, Chili555 is correrct, the wl driver "should" be loaded
    for your card. When i first had you show what modules
    were loaded via the lsmod command..b43 driver was loaded.
    yet your lspci report on your wireless card showed bcma,and brcmsmac
    installed. Running the install broadcom-kernel-source command "should"
    remove b43,bcma and other modules the b43 uses. So...Please run those
    commands chili555 posted and we shall see where we are.
    thanks.

@chili555..Thank you sir.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast