Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The discontinuation of Linux Ubuntu 10.04LTS in April

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The discontinuation of Linux Ubuntu 10.04LTS in April

In 168 hours Ubuntu 10.04LTS will no longer be supported as per the documentation online.

What happens to my PC if I still run 10.04 because I don't want to upgrade to 12.04?

I have 12.04 on another laptop I use throughout the day and simply said it slows me down unnecessarily and makes things problematic to find. Nothing has been easy. I don't like the scrolling thing on the left margin..... I can't access multiple desktops easily and anything one was once used to doing easily is now complicated by unnecessary steps and processes..
    I don't like 12.04.

So what issues are working against me for not upgrading to 12.04 on my other PC?

Thank you...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The discontinuation of Linux Ubuntu 10.04LTS in 168 hours

You will no longer recieve security updates for 10.04. Have you ever tried lubuntu or xubuntu? They would be more similar the the gnome 2 that you are used to. Or, you can look into installing MATE or cinnamon, both are substitutes for the old gnome 2 desktop. I think they would both work for you if you tried them. I personally like cinnamon better than MATE.

Kopkins

Beans

You wont get security patches and bug fixes if you continue using 10.04 AFAiK. Also, you can get rid of the scrolly thing on the left in 12.04 (I presume you mean Unity) by logging into Gnome Classic or installing Gnome, KDE or Mate/Cinnamon.

EdIT: Oh, I was beaten.I will add that you can try Linux mint, which has Cinnamon and Mate installed by default.
    Last edited by Virtuality314; March 24th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by suomalainen View Post
    In 168 hours Ubuntu 10.04LTS will no longer be supported as per the documentation online.

What happens to my PC if I still run 10.04 because I don't want to upgrade to 12.04?

I have 12.04 on another laptop I use throughout the day and simply said it slows me down unnecessarily and makes things problematic to find. Nothing has been easy. I don't like the scrolling thing on the left margin..... I can't access multiple desktops easily and anything one was once used to doing easily is now complicated by unnecessary steps and processes..
    I don't like 12.04.

So what issues are working against me for not upgrading to 12.04 on my other PC?

Thank you...
    When I first tried Ubuntu it was the 10.04 LTS release as it was a familiar Windows style desktop, and when I first tried the release after 10.04 I didn't like Unity and went back to Windows. I've now comeback to Linux and Ubuntu with 13.04 Pre-Release and I don't mind Unity.

You could always install Unity Tweak Tool and set the Launcher to auto hide and set the sensitivity low enough that it won't open when you go to the left edge of the Desktop and use Docky. Or you could install Gnome Shell to get the classic Gnome Desktop.

Roland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Debian 6 Squeeze (current Stable) still has Gnome 2 available.
    As far as I know they haven't announced until when it will be supported, but you can expect about two years more.
    I believe it's the alternative that is most similar to what you use now:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Debian 6 Squeeze (current Stable) still has Gnome 2 available.
    As far as I know they haven't announced until when it will be supported, but you can expect about two years more.
    I believe it's the alternative that is most similar to what you use now:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian
    I believe Squeeze will get one year support after Wheezy goes stable.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can easily use gnome 3 but have it look just like gnome 2, as in ubuntu 10.04, by following the instructions at 12.04 LTS Gnome Classic

There are some differences in, for example, how you change the panel contents (Alt+Rt click), but it is basically very similar to gnome 2 so yu should find most of what you want much more easily than in Unity.

However, as others have said, you may prefer to try Xubuntu which is more traditional in its layout.

Beans
    Distro

YOu guys are the best,

Months ago I tried these solutions and now it seems they are ready for prime time as they have the look and feel as I'm use too!!!

AND with MATE I can even create launchers on the desktop which before was not possible.

None the less three small issues remain.

MATE places a Computer, Home folder and Trashbin on the desktop. I don't want these things there. There already is a place in the cubboard and they can stay there. How do I delete them?

Also, does anyone use Xara? The menu bar has disappeared and is only accessible vix ALT +F.

Thank you all for great suggestions. This makes world of difference and allows for the look and feel I want and enjoy.

Thanks once again!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by suomalainen View Post
    Not in 168 hours, I think in about a month.

Beans
    Distro

Almost sounds like an April fools joke.........

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Not in 168 hours, I think in about a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast