Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kernel Question

I'm Running 13.04 from a Daily Build image that I downloaded on Friday and wondered what the Kernel Version is & if there is a newer stable one available, & if it's pretty simple for a newbie to update?

Roland
    Last edited by roly33; March 24th, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Kernel Question

Quote Originally Posted by roly33 View Post
    I'm Running 13.04 from a Daily Build image that I downloaded on Friday and wondered what the Kernel Version is & if there is a newer stable one available, & if it's pretty simple for a newbie to update?

Roland
    You're not running 13.04 since that does not exist yet... You're running (let's say) Beta for future 13.04... Daily edition... There is one that is newer but not surely more stable: tomorrow's daily... If You just do regular update/upgrade You will get to RR(a.k.a. 13.04) and then to rolling one...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    You're not running 13.04 since that does not exist yet... You're running (let's say) Beta for future 13.04... Daily edition... There is one that is newer but not surely more stable: tomorrow's daily... If You just do regular update/upgrade You will get to RR(a.k.a. 13.04) and then to rolling one...
    I'm fully up-to-date with all the updates so, in-line with today's daily build. My question was related to the Kernel as I was asking if their is a newer Kernel than the one that is in the Dev build of 13.04 & how easy is it to update to the latest stable Kernel?

Roland

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

while updating/upgrading, the system take care of all the new packages, including possible new kernel

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    while updating/upgrading, the system take care of all the new packages, including possible new kernel
    Ok thank's.

Roland

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Accordingly www.kernel.org, the latest stable kernel is 3.8.4, while RR seems freezed on 3.8.0...
    Last edited by spier; March 24th, 2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: url tag mistake
    spier
    --------
    Linux user #410105

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spier View Post
    Accordingly www.kernel.org, the latest stable kernel is 3.8.4, while RR seems freezed on 3.8.0...
    numbering into ubuntu is different; simply glance at each ubuntu kernel changelog (into synaptic) to know the related vanilla number.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

When running the development branch we sometimes find that kernel updates break things and we have to use an older kernel. So, if the kernel that you have at present is not stable on your machine, then I doubt very much if a newer kernel brought in from outside the Ubuntu update sytem will improve things. Here is why.

There is always a delay between the release of kernels through the Linux kernel organization and the merging of them in the Ubuntu development release. Some of these released kernels are beta or release candidates. In other words not to be viewed as stable. Some of us like to install them. Some of us like living on the edge. So, there are newer kernels available, but I would not call them stable from the point of view of Ubuntu.

At the moment on my Raring install I have kernel 3.8.0.14. That is the 3.8 kernel with 14 modifications by the Ubuntu developers. I expect more to come through. But there is a kernel 3.8.4 available which is called stable by the Linux kernel developers and a release candidate for kernel 3.9 which is called mainline. We do not as yet have these in the Ubuntu development branch because the developers what to release a stable 13.04 Ubuntu in a months time.

https://www.kernel.org/

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 24th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are interested in the newest kernels...

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % uname -r
    3.9.0-030900rc3-generic
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    rc stands for release candidate, in this case release candidate 3.

It's been stable on my s206 so far.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    If you are interested in the newest kernels...

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % uname -r
    3.9.0-030900rc3-generic
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    rc stands for release candidate, in this case release candidate 3.

It's been stable on my s206 so far.
    Or to be in accordance with Daily:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/

Code:
    :~$ uname -aLinux zika 3.9.0-999-generic #201303240405 SMP Sun Mar 24 08:05:57 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I know this post is childish but I could not help it... I hope I will be pardoned... I do use daily for years now...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast